Tested Gets a Glowforge - Second Pre-Release Unit in the Wild

Wow, that book at 4 is adorable! What a way to document a time in someone’s life.

We kept the French name tradition going with my oldest daughter. We named her Gabrielle Jolie Chevalier. She was the main reason we made the trip to Paris. She has been obsessed with all things French for as long as I can remember.

1 Like

Don’t. I have a degree in French and can barely understand a lot of the Canadian French speakers. It’s definitely its own thing. Fortunately the text isn’t much different.

3 Likes

I have a very hard time understanding Canadian-French. My Aunt, who lives in Quebec, likes to say that Québécois is essentially French without spaces or punctuation.

4 Likes

ahaha I think I’d tend to agree. This is one of my favorite canadian french things:

2 Likes

I understood that…it’s also the Louisiana Cajun patois. Chuckle!
Laissez les bon temps rouler.

3 Likes

That offset from the drawing is exactly what I was worried about with the cut before engrave.

Did we ever get an answer as to whether we’ll be able to change the order of engrave/cut?

1 Like

Yes, we can. (It has something to do with the colors or layer order i think. I’d need to watch the video again.)

3 Likes

IIRC the layer order on the left of the web app can be dragged around to change the, uh, order.

1 Like

That sounds right.

Both the cut and the engrave are incorrect because the depth sensor isn’t functioning here. Once it’s enabled it SHOULDNT be an issue. Whether the software for it is ready or not is another question.

2 Likes

This is where, as a pro, I’m expecting to be able to work around that. However, also as someone who has been doing this for many, many years, this is what you can expect if you cut before engraving. Cutting creates kerf, and cut pieces fall, some times shifting out of the original placement due to said kerf. Different materials have a different rate of loss. Extruded acrylic is my larger concern with this, but that’s a whole different thread.

Thank you! I thought they had said we could, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t dream it.

6 Likes

The offset in the tested video would have happened whether or not they did a cut. It’s an error in image scaling due to the depth sensor being disabled.

But I do know what you’re talking about having pieces shift because a cut was done before an engrave. I don’t think it’s applicable in this case though. This is totally an issue with the image processing software making the engrave larger than its supposed to

6 Likes

Thank you!!

I’m actually not sure that the offset cut to create the “frame” was due to camera distortion. I understand that their functionality isn’t fully implemented, but why would distortion create two almost parallel cut lines? And it was a relatively small object, given the size of the bed. Having just watched the video again, my theory is that it’s a result of the detection software not interpreting the outer (or inner) boundary as “closed” - that is to say, it traced the outer line, found a place to cross (maybe when they adjusted the contrast down?) and then proceeded to trace the other side of the drawn line until it could cross back and close itself. The perceived offset is actually a representation of the width of the hand drawn line. Similarly, the engraving distortion could be a result of the contrast adjustments causing the engraving paths to be less precise than the original drawing.

2 Likes

Oh it wasn’t what caused it to cut the frame. The software decided that the line was thick enough that a cut had to be done on both sides. My k40 does this too.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I thought when I was watching the video.

Its dealing with the “Materials whose height varies across the surface” that I am so looking forward to. This is a non-stop issue with other cutters doing 3d engraving on wood. Especially with thinner samples that are almost never really really flat.

4 Likes

Here is a link to the plans for those interested…

13 Likes

Dan confirmed earlier in this thread it was due to scaling errors stemming from the fact that the glowforge assumed the drawing was on the bed of the laser, not on the top of a piece of material above the bed height.

Since it was actually physically closer than it thought it was, it assumed the image was larger, therefore it engraved/cut it larger than it should have.

4 Likes

The two cuts made on the outline (intentional or not, aligned or not) should have been done inside then outside instead of what it did. I would have guessed “cut inside first” would have been implemented by now.