Tested Gets a Glowforge - Second Pre-Release Unit in the Wild

My friend from Universal Laser knows both Adam and Norm. Talks to Norm several times a week and even he said today that he was surprised to hear that Adam was consulting.

3 Likes

Every component has acceleration/jerk/snap parameters, and our motion planner makes sure never to exceed them. I was skeptical when our CTO proposed it too (I think I said ā€˜thatā€™s like designing a car where people sit in the tiresā€™) but damn if it doesnā€™t work brilliantly.

That is the current state of the prerelease software, but itā€™s a bug thatā€™ll be fixed.

We asked him to help us expand our thinking about what people can do with it, not how it works. Itā€™s actually the first time heā€™s seen one in person.

Exactly.

The depth sensor works brilliantly, accurate to around 0.1 mm (!), but right now it only measures right before the print to focus, not when the material is first inserted (weā€™ll fix that).

That was a different thing: the UI expected him to click outside the design (ā€œcut out this designā€), but instead he clicked right on the design outline (ā€œcut out the outline I just drewā€). So the software dutifully put a cutline on either side of his marker line. @Tonyā€™s been thinking about how to make that a bit more intuitive.

24 Likes

Lateral design thinking. Respect. As long the movement does not damage the tube over time and the extra mass does not put too much strain on motors. But I guess you guys are on top of all that.

On the one hand I like seeing the exposed tube because I like brutalism (in design terms not forum terms) but I canā€™t help wondering if a slick black aluminium cover over the tube would be a cleaner design. I know itā€™s not the final design and perhaps you guys are planning that anyway. Looking forward to seeing the final embodiment.

6 Likes

Butā€¦ butā€¦ then you couldnā€™t see the Glowforge laser glow!

We thought about that too. Stealthforge, maybe a new version. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Nope nope the laser tube was always the coolest part of the makerspace laser so keep the retrofuture steampunk aesthetic pls.

8 Likes

Conceded.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not into steampunk, or 80ā€™s neon art, but it is a laser so the more light effects, even cheesy ones, the better. Also sound. Iā€™ve never figured out why light, particularly in the void of space, makes so much noise, but pew-pew would be awesome as well.

9 Likes

Is it too late to get that UV blacklight glow? I have a Velvet Elvis poster Iā€™d really love to light up where I plan to put mine, and Iā€™d wear lots of white T-shirts.

7 Likes

Hmmā€¦things are a bit moreā€¦legalā€¦in Seattleā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ll have one of these please. I like black. (Painted my pink Gazelle blackā€¦)

1 Like

At this point, I am wanting a Ronco style infomercial. I realize that thereā€™s no time, and the last thing Iā€™d do with a pre-lease unit is take the time to produce one, but still, itā€™d be pretty entertaining. Especially with a couple of ā€œBut wait, thereā€™s more!ā€ moments. And especially especially if someone would make beef jerky with it.

2 Likes

Set it, and (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT) forget it!

3 Likes

When I read Ronco I thought Rockwell as in retro encabulator

8 Likes

That must be Cave Johnsonā€™s sister company.

5 Likes

I love these and was wondering how long till one would be posted. They give me insight into what tech briefs must sound like to those without the vocabulary to understand them

3 Likes

That sounds like a middle school essay where the student just starting throwing in words longer than six letters. Or something from a Dilbert for engineers book. (I have no background sufficient for parsing, let alone understanding any of that!)

:slight_smile:

And ā€œdingle-armā€ canā€™t be a legitimate technical term, right?

And now I see the Wiki article. When will I learn to not be so trusting on this forum?..!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s the thing, that is all jabberwocky and I guess that is how any tech brief sounds to outsiders. I literally sit and grin watching.

Oh, you updated while I was typing! LOL

3 Likes

Rockwell: "Itā€™s produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive duractance"
Me: "wait, can you demonstrate that?"
Rockwell: -opens access panel-
Me: ā€œperfect, thanksā€

4 Likes

They should totally crowd source this! Add in a flux capacitor and some more Rockwell Automation know how and weā€™ll be able to get the Glowforge to make bacon.

1 Like

Some further discussion on Tested. This time about the delay.

11 Likes