Testing Acrylic for Leather Stamps

Coffee and a little olive oil.

13 Likes

That’s clever and the results are excellent. Gotta add it to my toolkit. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like the non chemical/smelly aspect to this! :coffee:

2 Likes

So you hammered the acrylic stamp like you would do metal? It looks awesome, and I love the coffee-oil stain. Did you cut the holes with the Glowforge? What settings did you use?

1 Like

Thank you. I like the finish as well.

No, the acrylic isn’t going to stand up to hammering like a metal stamp would. I pressed it into dampened leather with a big bench vise.

I did cut the holes with the laser. I can’t discuss settings in this section of the forum, but you can find various options through search.

1 Like

Wow! Fantastic!

Thx for the idea :slight_smile: I started playing around with it for a local tack shop and made these. or got these results I should say. Not bad for the size, the small one is 2.2" across and with some stain im sure they would really pop

3 Likes

Very nice! I picked up some Delrin, and got good results there too.

2 Likes

Just ordered a sheet of that as well, i was thinking it would be a bit more stable than the acrylic or at least able to handle repeated presses better.

That’s what I’m thinking, but honestly, I haven’t put enough stress or repetition on the acrylic ones to break anything. The impression quality is the same.

the people i made those one have a 12 ton press i think its called a plunker? and using 1/4" acrylic assuming everything is flat it was taking full smacks from that thing no problem. I put wood on the back of the first ones and that was a mistake both from that test cracked on the first hit.

2 Likes

A “clicker”, probably. I’m looking to buy a small press and a plate to convert it into a clicker.

1 Like

woot, good stuff

1 Like

Ah yes that is it thx :slight_smile: one of these units but about 60 yrs older lol. and made in america

More my speed:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

2 Likes