Testing Acrylic for Leather Stamps

It’s good to see all of the leather stuff happening in here. It’s hugely helpful as I learn new skills in the area. I’ve been cutting and engraving leather pieces for various projects, but I haven’t done anything with a leather stamp since Cub Scouts. I like the look of a good stamp impression on leather, and plan to use it for some upcoming projects.

I know Delrin is a more durable material, but it’s not cheap and I have a fair amount of acrylic on hand - couldn’t hurt for a test. I pulled simple positive and negative initial block images out of Illustrator and set them in thick-ish acrylic. I water-soaked a scrap of leather of uncertain provenance and scrunched my new dies into it with a heavy shop vise.

The result is promising.

55 Likes

Turned out great!

2 Likes

Very promising, had doing this on my list for awhile now glad to see it can be done and the results really look great.

2 Likes

Go for it. Lots of possibilities.

Oh, that’s very nice indeed. Well done!

1 Like

Wow. Ideas are floating through my mind.

1 Like

Looks great!

1 Like

I did a similar test with plywood and also got good results - but the stamp definitely doesn’t live long! Acrylic is a great idea.

2 Likes

That worked great! Thanks for sharing your test results!

2 Likes

Acrylic! Of course, much better than ply. I have some stamps to design for a friend who does vinyl and leather upholstery. Best I get on with trying the design in acrylic then. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

How thick is your acrylic? I was wanting to make some leather stamps like that but have only ever etched photos onto acrylic and didn’t think i could get that much relief, at least not without a huge mess.

1 Like

You can engrave right thru acrylic with the right settings, obviously not the default settings for proofgrade material, and of course it will be slower the deeper you want to go.

This is 1/4" cast.

FYI, you can get some serious relief if your acrylic is thick enough :slight_smile:
This is 1" thick

12 Likes

That is heavy-duty.

1 Like

Did you do that on the GF? That would take a week!

Yes - and not quite, but I think a total of 8 passes at a few hours each pass - using the 3D engrave setting. I could only do a couple each night :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Nice, crisp lines on that! Well done! I was saving up for some Delrin but looks like I just lost that excuse … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got some Delrin and HDPE arriving tomorrow, but the acrylic definitely does the job.

12 Likes

I gotta say, that looks really good! Now, I need to see how I can use some of the tooling patterns I have to make stamps so I can reduce my hand tooling … :blush:

1 Like