Testing the limits

I’ve only gotten through about 0.35 cherry (which I have on hand), but I’d go with all the people who say multiple passes are cleaner. And since the machine does the multiple passes automagically when you select it, it’s really not a problem for speed.

2 Likes

Bamboo flooring from Cali Bamboo engraves wonderfully but when they market “World’s Hardest Flooring” they are not joking, 12 passes at full power cut maybe 1/8" into it. :smiley:

7 Likes

And I thought tempered Masonite was hard! Wow.

3 Likes

This is 3/4" red oak, 4 IPM full power. This PRU may have a pro tube in it, I have no idea. Interesting to see the penetration between the harder and softer grain.

10 Likes

That is some serious burn. Not sure if its good or bad, good 3/4 inch cut (kinda) possible, bad… lots of sanding.

2 Likes

You said 4 IPM, in the gfui my scale is 100 to 500. And I’m not sure it’s linear??? Where are you getting 4ipm? At 110 it seems like about 8ipm

1 Like

Correct.That’s why I’m a fan of multiple passes. While a single pass cut may save on cut time, it makes up for it (and then some) with sanding.

2 Likes

Old scale used on the PRUs. Just use the slowest speed you have - 100 now.

2 Likes

4ipm is 100 on the new scale.

2 Likes

That was my motivation for doing this. It was just a test to see how deep the cut would be at maximum, no intent of making anything with it. I ran this test before the new system was released.

2 Likes

Here are a couple more. White oak did great! One pass at 100, mahogany not so good, lots of flames and only a third thru at most.

15 Likes

I am heading down to Portland Oregon next week to pick up a load of French Oak, hoping for the same results when I receive my machine!!

1 Like

Are those 3/4"?

1/2"

Thanks!I had no idea mahogany was so dense.

I tried to go through 1/4" and two or three passes just didn’t work. Just made a wide kerf. This was with my Basic PRU.

2 Likes

Wow. I thought oak was hard.

I’ll have to try this with my mahogany. When I did a test on 1/4" thick, I had no issues getting through it. Also, for what it’s worth, mahogany is the only wood so far that has actually caught fire while in the laser for me. No damage to my laser, but I keep that burnt hole as a reminder of what can happen.

2 Likes

Yes my mahogany was also really flamey :astonished:

1 Like

I want to use Mahogany for my Wood tiles for the Catan Board, and I have a feeling that I’ll have to be watching with a damp rag handy.