Thailand Manhole Cover - FREE!

I dig the inverse version, and wanted to try something on the 3dPrinter-

At best I would say it was a ‘learning experience’ -

Although, when held up to the light, I’d go so far as ‘creative interpretation’ :sunglasses:

HL

15 Likes

OK, I missed a spot in the upper right, but spent a little time to make it look like this.

17 Likes

I’m thinking about bringing the SVG to the 3D printer as well. Maybe later tonight.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing! This is beautiful.

I love Thailand! My parents lived there for a year and a half, and my husband and I were able to visit. I’ve never met lovelier, more gracious people.

6 Likes

You’d be run over by a taxi or moped here before you got the chance to see most manhole covers :sweat_smile: This was the first one I’ve seen that was decorative, and I’m assuming it was due to the nature of the restaurant. The whole area of the restaurant was Japanese themed, so I’m guessing the owner was heavily inspired by what she saw in Japan, but is also detail oriented, so instead of having regular manhole covers outside of her restaurant, she chose these. If you look at the spoon in my pictures up above you’ll notice it’s quite unique and definitely detail oriented, as well as the restaurant’s symbol on the dishes. I think she’d fit right in with this bunch :grin: Also I’m saying “she” because although my wife and I did not meet the owner, we had to know more about who they were, so we looked her up - an interesting story for sure!

Haha I’ve always been proud of mine, and I still find myself looking at it almost every day (I put a sticker of it on my water bottle) and thinking I did good when I designed it. I’ll add to that post when I get to my computer, I’m not sure that I’ve got a copy of the logo on my phone anymore.

Tsk, tsk, I’d say it’s hardly any different than taking a picture of a flower or an interesting building such as a temple. You wanted to remember something that was special to you, especially something that is so mundane back home. Not only that, these are actually very interesting, I’d be more surprised by people not taking pictures of them, but perhaps we are the weird ones? :thinking:

@hansepe thank you!!! Still looks good either way, but I think I’ll add a version of what you’ve got so it has an option for it. It’s giving me slight PTSD as I literally spent most of the day outlining a half opacity, black and white image that looked really similar to those second results :sweat_smile: Certainly the fills on the outside circles could be tweaked, I’ll adjust it a bit and reupload, thanks again for burning it!

@High_Latitude The inverse is actually how the manhole cover looks, but I was concerned that burning 98% of the surface of a material may be a bad idea for most users. Turning the power down and doing it would be fine, more so it was a light burn, but again, gotta be careful with these free files. 3D printing it is a brilliant workaround to that problem, the chance of spontaneous combustion with one of those has to be at least 30% lower :wink: Here’s a pic of an unfilled version of the same cover:

We’re coming up on 2.5 years, and have loved it. We knew it was going to be a good place when one of our first taxi drivers was so excited to speak English with us and teach us some Thai. The longer I’m here, the more I love it, I really can’t express how beautiful the random highways through the north were. The roads ran through some very small towns, and between them gorgeous forests, trees lining either sides of 2 lane roads, the mountains, the actual feeling of Fall, with both the temperature change and leaves changing. We live in Bangkok which looks nearly the same as any other time of year, and we’ve traveled to a handful of the southern islands which also don’t change much, so the northern areas were a real treat to behold. The people really are fun to know, I’ve worked with some of the most down to earth people here, and even just meeting some random Thai people on the street can be such an uplifting moment to a day. Our first son has green eyes and strawberry blonde hair, it makes him quite popular with the locals. We often get asked to take pictures with people because of it :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

You’ve got a bunch on the forum :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Also, things look different when you’re a maker, especially with a laser.

12 Likes

Lovely share and thread. Thank you.

11 Likes

Beautiful, well done.

8 Likes

You did a wonderful job on the cover. :blush:

8 Likes

I think it’s funny that that is says the town name in Japanese in the manhole cover. Not sure if i shared, but i recently did one on my local covers in tokyo.

Made some minor changes to make it a Christmas ornament. Otherwise it says tokyo sewage, no so cute.

16 Likes

Even still, the fact that they make such a nice design even for their sewer system is amazing.

6 Likes

It’s interesting that ornate covers like these can be found all over the world. There are some with Tlingit / Kwakiutl designs in Seattle, for example. There are some very ornate ones in Versailles (though, I never found one completely unobstructed to photograph). I have assumed that they started somewhere, probably Japan and, spread from there but, it would be interesting (anthropologically-speaking) for someone to actually trace that to check.

8 Likes

These are all so cool but I really love this one

have you posted any of the manhole covers on IG?

10 Likes

Happy Birthday!! I posted only one. I’ve been seriously slacking in all things lately,

7 Likes

I can relate to that feeling. I’ve been spread so thin, I have days where I feel like I’ve got nothing done.

7 Likes

Making me want to travel more. Awesome design with a great backstory!

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @NenahCherryCoke

7 Likes

I encourage all to do some traveling, especially their home states/countries! It’s surprising how much we don’t get around to enjoying the things close to us, but if you have done enough of that, then I definitely also encourage getting out to see more! The world is so big, but can also be as small as you’d like :earth_americas:

7 Likes

Agreed! We’ve lived in the same home for 26 years, and we’re still discovering amazing things nearby we had never previously seen.

That said, I would love to make it back to Thailand. My daughter has been working with refugees from Thailand/Myanmar (Karen-speaking) for the past four years, so a trip there would be very meaningful to her. Also, I’d love to visit the new Bangkok temple.

6 Likes