Thailand Manhole Cover - FREE!

Beautiful, well done.

8 Likes

You did a wonderful job on the cover. :blush:

8 Likes

I think it’s funny that that is says the town name in Japanese in the manhole cover. Not sure if i shared, but i recently did one on my local covers in tokyo.

Made some minor changes to make it a Christmas ornament. Otherwise it says tokyo sewage, no so cute.

16 Likes

Even still, the fact that they make such a nice design even for their sewer system is amazing.

6 Likes

It’s interesting that ornate covers like these can be found all over the world. There are some with Tlingit / Kwakiutl designs in Seattle, for example. There are some very ornate ones in Versailles (though, I never found one completely unobstructed to photograph). I have assumed that they started somewhere, probably Japan and, spread from there but, it would be interesting (anthropologically-speaking) for someone to actually trace that to check.

8 Likes

These are all so cool but I really love this one

have you posted any of the manhole covers on IG?

10 Likes

Happy Birthday!! I posted only one. I’ve been seriously slacking in all things lately,

7 Likes

I can relate to that feeling. I’ve been spread so thin, I have days where I feel like I’ve got nothing done.

7 Likes

Making me want to travel more. Awesome design with a great backstory!

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @NenahCherryCoke

7 Likes

I encourage all to do some traveling, especially their home states/countries! It’s surprising how much we don’t get around to enjoying the things close to us, but if you have done enough of that, then I definitely also encourage getting out to see more! The world is so big, but can also be as small as you’d like :earth_americas:

7 Likes

Agreed! We’ve lived in the same home for 26 years, and we’re still discovering amazing things nearby we had never previously seen.

That said, I would love to make it back to Thailand. My daughter has been working with refugees from Thailand/Myanmar (Karen-speaking) for the past four years, so a trip there would be very meaningful to her. Also, I’d love to visit the new Bangkok temple.

6 Likes

Our new meetinghouse is on the same grounds as the temple, we get to check it out every Sunday, quite lovely and different being in the middle of Bangkok, but somehow it fits, ya know?

Always glad to hear from like minded people, our ward is full of adventurous families, as is the school my wife teaches at. The international scene is such an incredible experience :grin:

6 Likes