That’s a cheesy slate project

At the barn we have periodic parties, that are fairly fancy, so I figured a nice cheese plate would be nice for the next one. The same slate cheese boards from amazon as my prior project. Those are names of horses who live at the farm. As on the prior one, real shellac. Bella is our horse and Mozart is who I ride.

Bella and Mozart

42 Likes

That looks great. I’ll have to try shellac.

1 Like

The engraving is so consistent that it looks like vinyl. That seals it, I’m going to go out and get some shellac tomorrow. (Do you see what I did there? seals it… I know it sounds cheesy, but I crack myself up. :stuck_out_tongue: )

5 Likes

Beautiful engrave!

Question for you: I know that shellac is food safe and has been used very successfully by many on slate to increase the contrast of the engraving. But what happens to the shellac coating on the slate over time as the slate gets used – and most importantly, as it comes into contact with water? I always thought water damaged a shellac finish by making it cloudy. Thanks for sharing!

Brian

Nice looking slate work. I am in Lakeville we need to get a group meeting together.

Can’t get over how nice these cheese boards are coming out. Very nice indeed!

2 Likes

I plan on doing a durability test this weekend in the dishwasher. I will report in the forum how it comes out

3 Likes

10 Likes

Shellac knocks slate out of the ball park. Very nice.

3 Likes

Just designed my first slate cheese board… I know its been a while since you posted this but I would love to know how your durability test went!!

1 Like

So far it’s stood up nicely. The signs I made for the farm which are outdoors, have remained very nice looking despite weather.

1 Like