The biggest foldable box to fit on the bed of a Glowforge

I was looking at my latest playing with cardboard and trying the usual fingered boxes and not liking the results as cardboard is a bit delicate for using a hammer to push it together. Then I remembered that Inkscape made foldable boxes! So I tried one and discovered that what it made was a series of basically rectangles, with a few chamfers which would print fine but not with a Glowforge. So I put in way too much work and scaled it down and down till one was able to print on the bed of a Gowforge, where it was a bit small for most things so I am putting it up here.

cardboardbox

The blue is cutlines and the red a blurry score to let it bend in the right places. It is approximately 3x3x2

I scooched some stuff about a bit and left two of the tabs only partially cut so you can do bigger than will fit but you need to leave overlap and cut with scissors.

28 Likes

Thanks. I am going to give this a try one day.

Thanks, I’ve used the foldable boxes in the past and love them. I suppose you could cut this in half, and make a tab to glue to the other cut part and double the size? Haven’t tried that but I’m thinking it 'should ’ work:-)
Thanks for the share!

4 Likes

In theory, you could make it much bigger with a pro, but I have not even started there yet. I did make that one and the bottom tabs were based on an earlier point and so are too short :man_facepalming: I will update the fix.

4 Likes

Hate it when that happens:-)

1 Like

Thanks. More stuff for the todo pile

1 Like

Nice, brilliant for gift boxes!

2 Likes

Use this site to create folding box templates of all sorts: ✂Templatemaker ︎

3 Likes

Thankyou :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for the link!

1 Like

Templatemaker has come up before, for more info and discussion:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Templatemaker

There are lots of good discussions about box making in there.

4 Likes