The Creature in the Iron Mask

Hello, please do call me Louis.

This is a stellated dodecahedron nestled in a larger dodecahedron. As in my other layered creatures, this one was a very precise model. I’m getting a little faster at assembling them, but it’s such a tight fit that you can’t really rush it.

BB ply, 30 pieces, probably 3 hours of assembly time.

Pretty happy with this one, it’s really satisfying to hold.

Bonus Pics of construction

71 Likes

Okay, just WOW.

11 Likes

WHAT KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS!? :flushed:

12 Likes

It’s this horrible thing called Geometry. I don’t recommend it. :slight_smile:
My brain was suffering as I designed it. I think the next one will be easier though, I took notes this time.

16 Likes

Knowing you, doubtful… Incredible work!

7 Likes

OK so easier to design, probably harder to assemble. Fair point.

7 Likes

Ooo I love the bonus pics! Great design!!!

7 Likes

Looks very solid. Very cool. Louis is my favorite.

7 Likes

There’s a series called the laundry files where magic and sorcery are literally just very advanced math.

8 Likes

That one looks like it might have been really hard to assemble. Don’t know how you design them. :blush:

4 Likes

What is holding it together? Are the brown squares inlays or a pin of some type?
Very impressive.

Ahhhh the bonus pics reveal your genius.

3 Likes

Really nice work👍🏼

3 Likes

Also wood glue. I glued every pin as I went. Making it so tight that glue wouldn’t be needed is kind of a loser, because it’s so small that it’s really hard to wrestle tight-fit pins. The glue may have been optional–it’s still fairly tight–but I didn’t want it to come undone so I went with glue for insurance.

9 Likes

Interesting mesh of geometry there. :star_struck:

3 Likes

That really is beautiful, hurts my brain thinking of trying to make one of my own hehe

4 Likes

Sometimes, it’s good to be the king.

Wonderful!

8 Likes

Terrific! Another winner! Bringing Geometry to life with a laser! Awesome!

3 Likes

Your brain really does do magical thinking! Another amazing project!

5 Likes

Geometry, sorcery, it’s just darn pretty! It does look a bit like something one of the guys in “Hellraiser” might have.

5 Likes

Beyond incredible!

3 Likes