The dragon has landed!

I may be jumping the gun, apologies if so, but stroke size shouldn’t have an impact unless converting a path to an outline and engraving, right? My SOP for designing in illustrator (caveat: without a Glowforge on hand) has been to assign a stroke that approximates the expected kerf so I can better visualize the actual material cut.

6 Likes

When I made my Escutcheon, I had the same issue. I put in the size in inkscape for the exact dimensions. Apparently, when you cut a vector, it cuts the inner part of the circle based on stroke size (I made mine huge because I was dumb). I changed the stroke size to something very small, and if fit like a glove.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think you’re right. I used the 40.25mm hole that I saw listed in another thread as the kerf adjusted size. Not sure why that didn’t work yet unless I have a smaller kerf than the PRU that came from. Will investigate more next week.

2 Likes

My ruler looked EXACTLY like that one. Emailed support and then it worked just fine. I bet there is lots of burn marks on the bottom too. :grinning:

2 Likes

That’s what I was wondering about exactly. Great tip!

2 Likes

Congrats!!! And what a clever name for your unit! :smiley:

2 Likes

Just spoke with the team - there’s a foam block that should prevent this which may not be getting installed properly at the factory. Apologies! We’re working now to fix. In the mean time, I’m glad it was a quick fix.

8 Likes

Not only a quick fix, but I took the time to learn more about how the head works which can only be a win.

The whole head was nestled in a cube made of partially cut foam blocks but there wasn’t one specifically near the lens that I saw.

7 Likes

In Inkscape if you draw a circle, then set it to a certain size, if the right check box isn’t checked, it will scale the stroke of the line along with the size of the shape, and that definitely messes with where the cut ends up.

Get that check box checked (or unchecked… can’t remember), and use as small a stroke as you are comfortable with. I generally use .1 mm or .5px.

4 Likes

Huh. Wasn’t in my PRU and @Rita said I was right in just popping it back flat so the magnet stuck. She didn’t mention a missing foam block.

2 Likes

My understanding was that the black crumb tray is exclusive to the Glowforge Pro :slight_smile: Some small conciliation for shipping 6 weeks later than the Basic.

That’s not how I read the email update from Dan. Jetblack crumb tray is a new section header after the Pro Section is finished. So Black was to be for all of them from the initial design.

And I saw a picture of someone’s head packing in the box and thought that it looked a bit shaky. Less packing than mine and what I saw at BAMF.

4 Likes

The general rule in support is - don’t answer questions people didn’t ask.

Not everyone communicates the same way, and adding extra topics can confuse folks & make the conversation harder.

Unlike here, where… SQUIRREL

17 Likes

No, it will be in the Basic as well. Sorry for the confusion.

7 Likes

Why did mark receive the original crumb tray? Or was his shipment made before your announcement of the black crumb tray?

1 Like

His unit was manufactured and packaged before we made the change.

4 Likes

For the record, I’m totally fine with that. :wink:

I’ll take a little shmutz on the bed over waiting any day. Would love to buy a black tray if they are available down the road but I’m quite sure I can keep busy in the mean time.

7 Likes

Congrats I think that feature only comes with the pro

No, @dan has confirmed that the black tray will also be shipping on the basic. Mine just shipped early enough that it was packed with the previous tray.

1 Like

Chuckles

1 Like