GeeBee_v8.zip

geebee_v8.zip (63.2 KB)

33 Likes

Very nice!

6 Likes

Cute how you changed the tail number.

Do you build peanut-scale kits?

8 Likes

I like the frame making it look like a stretched tarpaulin, that is a neat detail :heart_eyes_cat:

10 Likes

No just liked the shape of the plane so i drawed it over in autocad liked 2022 more. :slight_smile:
But not into plane models. Wanted to make it red and white but like it plain scored better.

9 Likes

Nice design. I like the frame
!

7 Likes

That thing really flies too! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

yep not very safe to fly tho!

6 Likes

That’s a common misconception.

It was built for the Thompson Trophy in 1932 and won easily, Doolittle was quoted as saying it was the most sweet flying airplane he’d ever flown, and was perfect in every way. He did state it was too fast for the average pilot.

It crashed the following year due to pilot error - as did the R-2.

8 Likes

A real “tail-dragger”, Most of that thing is a massive Pratt & Whitney 9-cylinder radial that developed around 800HP so no surprise it was fast.
Nice share! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

13 Likes

Thank you for sharing :grinning:

4 Likes

It was very safe to fly. It was the takeoff and landing part where it was really, really bad.

Besides the high takeoff and landing speed mandated by its stubby little wings, which made it unforgiving of mistakes, the pilot could not see the ground in front of the plane because of how far back the cockpit was placed, and how massive the engine on the front of the plane was. You had to take off and land by looking out the side of the cockpit. So the pilot’s “pucker factor” was reportedly very high during these flight phases…

It’s not an uncommon problem even for airplanes with “trimmer” profiles. Most notably, if you see video of P-51 Mustang pilots taxiing their airplanes, they swerve from side to side so the pilot can get a look ahead out both sides of the cockpit, because the view straight ahead was completely blocked by the forward fuselage.

13 Likes

Where did you get that pic - LOVE these!

4 Likes

Just web search for ‘(aircraft) cutaway’ - in this case ‘gee bee r-1 cutaway’.

Most aircraft are available.

7 Likes

Well there goes my day. I just found this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sr-71+blackbird+cutaway&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS849US849&sxsrf=ALiCzsZj0FBAF0t0TVFRtq0cwbGxcPOvlQ:1661444134650&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTz9bbseL5AhWvlmoFHbBYC-QQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=2560&bih=1297

7 Likes

Would be a nice project to draw!

2 Likes

If you’re going to do an SR-71, you need to do it engraved on metal. Wood or plastic, for a plane that can heat to a over 1000ºF in flight, just wouldn’t be “right”. :slight_smile:

Little known detail of the SR-71. The structure expands so much in flight due to heating, when the plane is on the ground, cold, the fuel tanks leak like sieves. They pump it full of fuel and take off right away and then fly fast to heat the plane up so the seams all seal up, at which point most of the fuel it started with has leaked out, so they have to do an inflight refueling to refill the tanks before the plane could go and fly its mission.

9 Likes

Titanium is a bit to far reached for my glowforce

1 Like

You’d use the metal marking stuff to imprint the image on the metal. Never mind Titanium, the GF can’t even engrave Aluminum Foil… :slight_smile:

3 Likes