The Glowforge Compact Filter

I have been EXTREMELY happy with mine. I actually think it is better than the original filter because of the fact that I will not have to move the 'forge to change out the “consumable” filter. It does a very good job of filtering (practically no smell, and seems quieter, too!).

I’m very glad I swapped my pending Original Filter for the Compact Filter.

6 Likes

Oh I’d love to get one of these. I actually can’t figure out how to purchase just the regular filter on it’s own. Is there a way to get on the list to purchase one of these? I filled out the exchange form for now… But will happily pay if I can figure out how to individually order a filter as we already have our glowforge!

Fill out the form in the first post in the thread. On one of the lines, leave a note that you want to purchase it outright, and did not have a filter on order. Then wait to hear from them. If they have extras available, they can contact you and bill you for it via PayPal.

1 Like

Ah - Already filled out but didn’t leave a note - I’ll email or message them though! Thanks!

Can you please give me the CFM rate? Thanks

An update: all customers who ordered a Glowforge Air Filter and requested a Compact Filter instead have now been shipped (with a few more going out this week). We’re now switching production to build units for sale with new machines (available for sale at glowforge.com/order). Now that we’ve completed all active requests, if you have a Glowforge Air Filter, you can still request a switch to a Compact Filter and we’ll add it to the production queue as well; delivery times will vary based on availability.

If you’d like to purchase a Compact Filter outright (and do not have a Glowforge Air Filter on order), we’re not able to do that just yet. We’re overhauling our ecommerce system for the shop, and when that’s done, we plan to make it available.

7 Likes

Max airflow is 200 CFM.

Thank you.

Please keep me up-to-date on the availability of the Glowforge Compact Filter. I received my GF Plus this week and after first cut (venting outside) realize I should have ordered a filter. Thank you.

1 Like

Are you saying that because the vent is too close to the neighbors, or is it because you smell smoke when operating? If the latter it is likely there are leaks in the exhaust vent setup. Most of us experienced that problem initially. Some have sealed the exhaust vent connections with metal foil tape. I purchased a soft rubber connector that clamps and seals much better than a standard dryer hose. Both solutions almost always stop any smell during operation. Though there is always residual smell after the lid is opened.

Ack. Ordered my Glowforge on the 10th and it’s arriving in few days. I’m not even excited to get it anymore after finding out the compact filter can be ordered now lol.

Well, I hope you recapture your excitement because you can still have a boatload of fun, even without the filter. I operated for 1.5 years without the filter with no problems at all, venting out the window. I do have the filter now, but I’m only using it for a backup solution.

2 Likes

That’s the thing- I dont have a window in my room, just a sliding door and I got a doggy door attached to it. I dont really want to install another one or mess with the one I have now. And theres no room to install a dryer vent either. I was going to set the Glowforge up in the garage but I just realized theres only two outlets and they’re being used by the washer and dryer. Dont want to plug and unplug few times a day especially when I still live with my family.

I live in a community of town homes and the windows/patios of my neighbors are close.

1 Like

ummm…make an insert that you can pop into the doggie door when you’re using the 'forge and take out when you’re not so the doggie can still come & go.

or plug a multi-outlet strip into the garage outlet and plug both the washer & GF into it. I’ve been doing that for 3 years now (both a PRU and my PRO).

2 Likes

I only mentioned the outlet thing because I think the people in one of the Facebook groups said to plug the Glowforge directly into an outlet and not an extension. Should I just ignore that then?

There is a non-zero chance that something might go wrong when using any electronic device and a multi-outlet strip. That doesn’t stop people from using them anyway because for all intents and purposes it’s pretty much zero for anyone. You’re probably more likely to get hit by a car crossing the street.

But there are a lot of engineers here (and over there) and lawyers and such who hyperfocus on the edge cases and ignore the 99.999% use cases.

If there were a show of hands, I’d expect that most GF owners have theirs plugged into some sort of “unapproved” outlet :slight_smile:

Same thing with magnets for hold downs - unapproved but they specifically made the honeycomb out of steel at extra expense…

5 Likes

edit–found my answer

I was part of the kickstarter. This is the first i’m hearing of this. Time for an email update!

3 Likes

After pondering it for a couple weeks, figured I might as well go for the Compact Filter. As a one-man operation, the convenience of not having to lift the whole glowforge to swap out the filter is big.
And not having to wait until October. Basic models are a bit more sensitive to the summer heat, and having to keep a window open for the vent hose doesn’t help with that.

1 Like