Introducing the Compact Filter
We’re delighted to share a new option that lets you run your Glowforge just about anywhere: the Compact Filter. It’s available for purchase with new orders, and customers who preordered a Glowforge Air Filter can opt to exchange it for a Compact Filter instead. It’s not yet available for separate purchase. You can learn more below.
- It’s a small filter, about the size of a recycle bin, and it sits on the ground near your Glowforge, connected by a hose.
- It does a fantastic job of removing the smoke and fumes from the Glowforge unit and returns the clean and filtered air to the room. That means it’s safe to operate your Glowforge anywhere when the instructions are followed. In fact, the filtered air from the Compact Filter has significantly fewer particles than typical indoor air.
- It’s based on a tried and true filter design from a manufacturer that specializes in industrial filters, but upgraded with a much more powerful fan, higher quality filter medium, and a metal cartridge frame.
- It’s easy to move around, with wheels on the bottom and handles for simple carrying.
- We’ve added a setting in the Glowforge software that you turn on when the Compact Filter is attached. When it’s set, your Glowforge runs quieter because the fans from the Compact Filter do the brunt of the work.
- It’s easy to change the filter cartridges - just release two latches and the top comes off so you can swap it out.
- It has adjustable fan power to improve the life of the cartridge. When you start to detect an odor, you turn up the fan; when the fan is at maximum speed and you start to detect odor, you replace the filter.
- It’s 16.5" wide x 10.5" deep x 17" high.
- It is covered by a 6 month warranty.
- The launch price will be $995.
Glowforge Air Filter and Compact Filter Exchange
If you have an active preorder for a Glowforge Air Filter, and would like to cancel your Glowforge Air Filter and receive a Compact Filter instead, read on.
- You’ll receive a Compact Filter for the same price you paid for your Glowforge Air Filter.
- We do not have the ability to “reverse” exchange a Compact Filter for a Glowforge Air Filter.
- We offer returns and refunds per our terms and conditions (section 3.13), less applicable fees.
- The Compact Filter has a 6-month warranty, the same as the Glowforge Air Filter. (Note that the warranty does not cover a full filter cartridge).
- Replacement cartridges are $249.
- They have been tested with Proofgrade materials. While they may work with materials from other suppliers, we can’t guarantee it.
- Draftboard and other MDF materials will use up the filter extremely quickly, and so we recommend against using them. Your filter cartridge will last up to ten times longer if you avoid Draftboard.
- We will ship some units immediately. If you don’t receive a unit right away, we may contact you later when another shipment is available.
- If you don’t have an account on this forum, now is a good time to create one - we’ll need your forum username to request a Compact Filter in place of your Glowforge Air Filter.
- If you’d like to buy one but haven’t already purchased a Glowforge Air Filter, we plan to make that option available in the future.
Would you like to trade your Glowforge Air Filter order for a Compact Filter? Please fill out this form to let us know, and we’ll get back to you when your Compact Filter is available.
Really stoked about this. I’ve read nothing but good things. (Apart from the draftboard bit.) I’ve had one delivered, and unfortunately, it sits, still boxed up… just haven’t had time to reconfigure the lab. But looking forward to not smelling acrylic and leather any more.
The plan is to have either a quick release hose for an outside vent, or a split with blast gates.
Thank you for stepping up and finding an alternative while the battle to develop the under fitting filter rages on.
@dan are replacement filters cartridges readily available, are they proprietary, and when will we know the replacement cost?
Before I make the switch and request the compact filter, I, too, would like to know about the filter replacement cost and delivery/turn around times for the filter. For those who have one, how do you like it?
Thanks in advance.
I was just going to link you to this thread
I have been EXTREMELY happy with mine. I actually think it is better than the original filter because of the fact that I will not have to move the 'forge to change out the “consumable” filter. It does a very good job of filtering (practically no smell, and seems quieter, too!).
I’m very glad I swapped my pending Original Filter for the Compact Filter.
Oh I’d love to get one of these. I actually can’t figure out how to purchase just the regular filter on it’s own. Is there a way to get on the list to purchase one of these? I filled out the exchange form for now… But will happily pay if I can figure out how to individually order a filter as we already have our glowforge!
Fill out the form in the first post in the thread. On one of the lines, leave a note that you want to purchase it outright, and did not have a filter on order. Then wait to hear from them. If they have extras available, they can contact you and bill you for it via PayPal.
Ah - Already filled out but didn’t leave a note - I’ll email or message them though! Thanks!
Can you please give me the CFM rate? Thanks
An update: all customers who ordered a Glowforge Air Filter and requested a Compact Filter instead have now been shipped (with a few more going out this week). We’re now switching production to build units for sale with new machines (available for sale at glowforge.com/order). Now that we’ve completed all active requests, if you have a Glowforge Air Filter, you can still request a switch to a Compact Filter and we’ll add it to the production queue as well; delivery times will vary based on availability.
If you’d like to purchase a Compact Filter outright (and do not have a Glowforge Air Filter on order), we’re not able to do that just yet. We’re overhauling our ecommerce system for the shop, and when that’s done, we plan to make it available.
Please keep me up-to-date on the availability of the Glowforge Compact Filter. I received my GF Plus this week and after first cut (venting outside) realize I should have ordered a filter. Thank you.
Are you saying that because the vent is too close to the neighbors, or is it because you smell smoke when operating? If the latter it is likely there are leaks in the exhaust vent setup. Most of us experienced that problem initially. Some have sealed the exhaust vent connections with metal foil tape. I purchased a soft rubber connector that clamps and seals much better than a standard dryer hose. Both solutions almost always stop any smell during operation. Though there is always residual smell after the lid is opened.
Ack. Ordered my Glowforge on the 10th and it’s arriving in few days. I’m not even excited to get it anymore after finding out the compact filter can be ordered now lol.
Well, I hope you recapture your excitement because you can still have a boatload of fun, even without the filter. I operated for 1.5 years without the filter with no problems at all, venting out the window. I do have the filter now, but I’m only using it for a backup solution.
That’s the thing- I dont have a window in my room, just a sliding door and I got a doggy door attached to it. I dont really want to install another one or mess with the one I have now. And theres no room to install a dryer vent either. I was going to set the Glowforge up in the garage but I just realized theres only two outlets and they’re being used by the washer and dryer. Dont want to plug and unplug few times a day especially when I still live with my family.
I live in a community of town homes and the windows/patios of my neighbors are close.
ummm…make an insert that you can pop into the doggie door when you’re using the 'forge and take out when you’re not so the doggie can still come & go.
or plug a multi-outlet strip into the garage outlet and plug both the washer & GF into it. I’ve been doing that for 3 years now (both a PRU and my PRO).