The Glowforge Compact Filter

Anyone here have to replace their filter cartridge yet? I’m curious to know what kind of a lifespan people are seeing from them.

1 Like

A few of us have replaced the filter already. #3 for me arrives on Friday. The first one got a little over 20 hours of use with baltic birch plywood. The second got around 15, but cutting red oak hardwood seemed to be a big chunk of that decrease.

I’d expect most woods are around 20 hours of use as long as you at least vacuum out the bigger dust from the top of the filter. Acrylic or plastics I would expect to last a lot longer on the filter with the charcoal eventually becoming the issue.

1. There was never a Kickstarter, and
  2. A couple of years ago there was an email encouraging us to join the forums, because updates are posted here.
4 Likes

doh snap, you were right about kickstarter, but not about the forum.
We were getting emails from Dan for awhile on the status of all the things, but i haven’t received one for awhile. Forcing someone to come to a forum for an item they purchased is crap communication.

I never use the forum. i don’t have time unless i come on here looking for some help with something.

(Like my current venting situation and taking a mandala and figuring out why it won’t cut properly when i split it into 9 pieces to tile them w/out adding this funky border.)

Sure, the forum is great for basic small updates, but not for something i paid 500 bucks for, that is a year late and now finding out that it’s likely not a good solution… not ok to not email. Makes me wonder if it wasn’t emailed because they knew a lot of folks would be real annoyed.

3 Likes

What is the difference in the size of the compact versus the original air filters? And the specs? There was SOOO much to sort through on the forum that I could not find the answers I needed. I ordered my Glowforge 3 years ago, have had it for just over a year. I am frustrated with the lack of filter, but as it is an even financial exchange…I would really like to have a physical picture of the regular air filter (as a picture of the compact was provided) and be provided some details to make an informed decision as to which I would prefer. Thank you.

This is what it looked like two years ago. White, same x-y dimensions as the glowforge and about eight inches tall.

Note: picture is about halfway down the post.

1 Like

I suspect a similar issue makes it more efficient for them to do updates here so they can focus on improvements and tech support rather than spending time sending update emails.

One solution might be to set up your forum preferences to have it email you the things you are interested in. :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry! We switched to emailing customers only when there was something they needed to do (like their Glowforge unit was ready for shipment) based on customer requests. For folks who want regular updates in email, you can follow these directions to get them.

We emailed these instructions to everyone before we shifted policy, but I know it’s easy for that sort of thing to get lost.

–dan

4 Likes

I think that’s a great idea. Many companies let you select your notification preference.

Dan!

Bad Dan! I think that makes sense for product stuff, but not on an item i paid $500 for!! That’s a huge difference then, what does this new button do. I found the info about the filter haphazardly, when i was trying to figure out a new vent solution. It feels, … shoddy. Also, i miss your updates in my email. No soup for you.

ps. Ya think I can just stick out the tube through an airtight seal into my garage via a cat door??

OK so now there is a filter but most of the present owners cant get it and even if we do the filter clogs quickly while cutting wood products.

Now I understand why only NEW inexperienced purchasers can order it.

Thanks Glowforge!!!

While I am glad there is an alternative air filtration system, an email notification that my $1,000 order has been delayed by half a year would have been nice. Or an email notification that there is another filter option available. There’s no reason customers should have to scour the forums to discover this information.

6 Likes

We have to set email notifications in our own individual accounts. (Glowforge doesn’t have access to that, it’s private.)

https://glowforge.com/faq/about-glowforge#how-can-i-get-email-updates-on-my-glowforge-order

Any news on how the filters are while in use?
Noise, vibration smell?
I stunk my house up 2 nights in a row. I am taking a break tonight, I think my lid isn’t closed right so it’s blowing smoke out even with my vent and an inline fan installed to suck it out faster.

Even if sitting slightly off, it should still be mostly pulling to the back. If not, have you looked at the inside half of the exhaust fan? If a once working exhaust system is now leaking smells and smoke out, that’s pretty well indicative of a clogging up of the fan.

1 Like

I find it a bit disappointing that we can’t purchase a compact filter a la carte. I am also finding the fan and air hose to be an in-adequate set up, lots of bad smells. It’s a shame to not be able to use our very expensive equipment because if an e-commerce update that hasn’t happened? When can we expect to be able to purchase the compact from the site if we didn’t pre-order the filter?

1 Like

Yes, I dont understand why we can’t order the compact filter if we have the Glowforge already but didnt pre-order the other filter. I feel like we should get priority or at least the same treatment as new orders.

Maybe I should order another Glowforge and add the compact filter then try to return the Glowforge but keep the compact filter. Maybe that’ll work and it’ll be much quicker lol.

1 Like

you’d think the people who were first on board would get priority… I prepaid on day 1 for pro with filter sadly I barely check the updates anymore.
There are a few software or user issues I’d like to see happen like being able to with a few clicks add a cut line around an object or the ability to download an item I scan in the GF so I can edit it better (scanning and editing is really crappy)

Did you miss the sign up list to switch?

I must have.