The good kind of corona

IKEA frame, some Baltic birch, some black 3.0 paint.

The real party happens after dark…

Inspired by seeing a total eclipse. If you’ve seen one then you know that it’s a profound thing. If not, you simply have no idea how crazy it is. Easily top three life experiences.

35 Likes

That’s a rather neat idea! (Think of a glowing unicorn for a child’s night light.)

3 Likes

Almost 3 years ago exactly…in Oregon. It was a profound thing.

7 Likes

We had clouds that day, and weren’t in the optimum location for viewing. :confused:
Some of the folks here on the forum posted some great pictures for the rest of us though.

2 Likes

My cousin was in Mexico in the 70’s for one. He said it was quite the experience.

He was a hippie with long hair. He was riding in the back of a pickup truck after the eclipse and as he passed a group of people someone pointed at him and shouted out “Christo vive!” lol

4 Likes

Son lives in Nashville which was right in the path of totality so naturally we scheduled a visit for the event.
As it approached, hundreds of pinhole cameras formed by the foliage of the tree…

I was trying to get a video of the “shadow bands”, a phenomenon of the corona that is always there but normally overwhelmed by the sunlight so they are only visible during an eclipse. A white sheet would be ideal but the lightest surface around was the asphalt. They become most prominent just before totality. They run right to left in the shot.

That’s a cool piece David!

12 Likes

Oh yeah…I did see them, but you’re right…they’re a bit difficult against asphalt. Like heat waves…very cool! I did also get to see the hundreds of mini-eclipses caused by tree foliage, though. Everything about that day was phenomenal.

4 Likes

What a cool picture!

3 Likes

Love your project!

We drove to Crossville, TN to watch with my in-laws. Thrilling event.

4 Likes

Really cool. I love projects that only come out at night. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Agreed! It was amazing when we I saw one. The one I saw 99.9% total eclipse, but that was enough to stop everything around us. And the bugs started singing like it was night time. It was easily one of the most memorable moments I have experienced.

3 Likes

That is a great piece. Really cool.

3 Likes

I didn’t travel for the last one. I have to make sure that I can catch the 2024 eclipse. It may be my only chance.

There is a total eclipse that will pass over where I live now but it happens in 2099, and I will be 124 years old so my odds are slim. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Highly recommended man, it is indeed surreal. Sunset in 360 degrees.

4 Likes

My experience. Drove just two hours to a spot right at the peak of totality, up on a hill right on the border with TN. 8 minutes in 30 seconds:

Had a totally clear view, didn’t bother trying to take pics despite having telescopes and such - I knew I’d never get anything like some you’d find online, and I wanted to really take in the experience. Had mylar film glasses.

7 Likes

Since this has been on subject so far, it seems only proper to state that I hope the next one, (just for fairness), is called Milwaukee, Coors, or Budweiser.

Do like the results. Came out awesome.

2 Likes

Very inspiring!

2 Likes

What did you use for the light?

1 Like

I wasn’t lucky enough to be in totality but still close enough to get some similar pics :slight_smile:

And a colander :slight_smile: because why not lol

8 Likes

24 led ws2812b ring. Easily obtainable on amazon etc.

3 Likes