The Great Wave Off Kanagawa on aluminum

It’s simple but still pretty cool. Interesting artifacts in the white space, I guess it’s inconsistency in the aluminum business cards. (This one was anodized solid purple before engraving)

26 Likes

I was thinking about trying them. Very cool result!

3 Likes

I did this one full bleed, scaled the engraving to be about 1mm wider and taller than the card. Then I scored an outline of the aluminum card on some scrap cardboard, doublesided taped it to the outline, and went for it. I figured for this 0.5 mm accuracy was plenty, and that was easy to hit by eye.

6 Likes

That is a good tip!

3 Likes

Like it a lot!

2 Likes

Love it! Did the card flex any with the heat from the engrave?

1 Like

Yeah it bowed up a bit, maybe 1mm on each side. I just bent it back flat. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! Another great material to try…

1 Like

They’re rough but the ring lord’s cards are cheap. The edges are definitely not very refined but the price is right.

2 Likes

On the plus side, if you ever need to cut your way out of some duct tape (like you sometimes do), they work great!

4 Likes

But they’re quick to fix if you have a belt or drum sander. Just a quick pass cleans up the edges. I also try to sand down the pointed corners a bit as well for some relief. Otherwise they’re hole makers in pockets and bags.

so basically its a 85% ish engrave? how long did that take?

I did it at 475 ish lpi so it took like 14 mins maybe?

Lpi is far and away the largest contributor to duration as a rule.

Cool!!!

2 Likes