The Mandala Strikes Back

Seriously, though. Elmer’s makes an archival glue?

1 Like

Lol no, It’s elmers glue-all, PVA basic stuff…

3 Likes

Sigh. I READ that in your post, but then you went all crazy with the cow.

This is just not the week to mess with my mind. It’s barely hanging in there as it is!

5 Likes

beautiful work!

1 Like

Does the tape Masking wreck the card stock finish?

1 Like

So the cardstock I am using is textured, like linen almost. I think that reduces the surface adhesion a bit, the masking has given me no trouble at all.

That being said, i’ve also experiments with glossy smooth cardstock, and it also came off without any trouble. I’d suggest testing your masking before you commit to a full build. I use transferrite ultra medium tack.

1 Like

This is awesome !

1 Like

I have seen such artwork before, so I decided to buy this machine. Unfortunately, I have n’t had a chance to try it yet.
I believe will be spectacular when you make it!

1 Like

Beautiful…
So please let me know if this is correct.
8 layers. = 1 plywood plus 1 cardstock
Glue from top to bottom
Masking the paper with what ?
Where did you purchase the design from ?
What weight of the cardstock did you use ?
Thank you

1 Like

Thanks!

8 layers of plywood+cardstock, so I guess technically 16 layers. The cardstock is what gives it the color, the plywood gives it depth.

I did, yes. You could probably do it the other way… Registration pins are key to keep things perfectly aligned.

Scroll back, it’s covered in this thread.

Etsy.

Not sure, but it also doesn’t matter too much. Probably 80#? Maybe 100#? The plywood provides strength, you glue that cardstock right to it first thing.

No problem! :slight_smile:

i think the important part is to use cardstock and not regular paper. you might get away with 100# text, but regular weight (like 20#-28# copy paper) could make getting it to lay flat an issue (and might have adhesive bleed).

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

This came out great. We just got our Glowforge and I have been thinking about ways to use it to expand my mandala art. This gets even more ideas churning. Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Very nice job. Thanks for all of the tips! Some day I will have to try something like this.

1 Like

Today is some day! :slight_smile:

Go for it, they’re surprisingly fun.

(And thanks!)

1 Like

That is beautiful! That would make a nice clock.

2 Likes

Absolutely fabulous!

1 Like

You inspired me to buy one on etsy, cut it out (twice), and then try some alcohol based stain on it. I started with yellow on the first layer, then added a few drops of red for each additional layer. I works better with the yellow in front but it works both ways.
More Images

6 Likes

turned out great :slight_smile: how many coats of stand did you do? I’m working with water based stains and was wondering how they compare. I find I need to apply at least 2 coats of my water based stains to get something acceptable.

1 Like

basically one quick wash per color. I used Keda liquid dye. Amazon has a kit with 5 colors in it: red, blue, yellow, black, brown. I mixed the dye with some alcohol left over from making brandy ( the heads, aka: the stuff that comes out of the still first and is a bit nasty to drink). Roughly 70% alcohol. I collected this stuff for cleaning in the garage. It does wonders on the lid of the forge.

Anyway, with the dye added, it dried really quick as I was working in the sun and the alcohol does not hang out long with the sun beating on it. It think it all comes down to how much dye vs how much alcohol. I made the soup fairly thick by my standards. I did not measure the liquid but counted drops. started with 20 drops of yellow, added 5 drops of red for each layer, added 9 for the final layer as i noticed the color had not shifted as much on layer 4. I think the last coat of red might qualify as 2 coats since i was using it up and wanted the red to be strong.

1 Like