The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Engrave

As a follow-up to my comment on my last post, I have indeed, engraved this picture:

Here is the image I went with to send into the GFUI

Ka'a'awa2

And this is the result

20171006_195625

Also, here is a link to some of the timelapses I’ve done: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JLMQGHRGLSFyq7R03

I like to add the layer that shows what the engrave image should look like - I think it helps give an idea of what other’s images should be similar to. Not to say that I’m an expert, and I’m sure I could probably get better results down the road, but hey, I like where I am am now!

The next section of this post are more on my thoughts than the capabilities of what Harrison can do, so if you’re interested in that, please read on, otherwise you can leave this post with or without a like/comment. Thanks for stopping by :yum:

I find it so difficult to not stand and watch as the laser engraves, because it’s so hard to comprehend the dynamics of what’s happening. Sure, I get it; it’s a laser, that does laser stuff…but laser stuff is so fascinating! Anyway, I have taken over a thousand photos with my drone, and this one is personally my favorite. I think part of what I love about it is that I originally didn’t think much of it when I took it. The original image was very dark, and in comparison to some of my other photos (I live in Hawaii, so I get a lot of beach/coast images), this one didn’t grab my attention initially. I tend to go through my collection now and again just to be amazed at where I live, and it was during one of these excursions that I found this image again. With the few more tricks I had learned in Photoshop, I was able to get the details and lighting that I really wanted, and what originally was an image that was overlooked, it has now evolved into being one of my best.

I guess what I’m partially getting at is this: We don’t always think of what we do as successful, and sometimes we’re our worst critics (I’m pretty critical of my my work most days). If we constantly lived with that mindset than we would have a very hard time in growing and work like this may never have come to fruition. I enjoy the glowforge, and I know that I will waste material, create lousy designs, and maybe even wonder why I got the machine when I feel like just an average creator, but I’m grateful for the opportunities to learn and experience things that I’ve always wanted to. My gforge is another step in the right direction!

Here’s a bonus image to show the engraved on display :blush: Shout-out to those of you who get the reference of the middle design. I may do an individual post for that one, but for now, I think this will suffice
20171010_080504

56 Likes

Awesome! I didn’t realize how tiny these images are. Also, nice guitar (what we can see of it).

5 Likes

Wow, that’s great. When I saw that image the other day I thought “that’s not going to work, it’s sort of a uniform brightness”. Shows you what I don’t know about image processing! (and you obviously do)

3 Likes

The images are smaller than I thought too (but incredible to look at)! Especially since, with only four strings, that’s probably a ukulele.

3 Likes

Or a bass.

3 Likes

The quality of the engrave makes me think of early photographs.
In a case like this where the subject is perfectly chosen and prepared the results are exceptional

5 Likes

It is in fact a ukulele, +2 points to @BrianDixon!

@chris1 Im with you on your original thought. I wasn’t entirely sure that it would print very well, which is why I have been doing these at smaller sizes. I have become more curious what a larger print would show me in regards to details, so I will have to eventually be brave a try it out on a larger scale!

I hadn’t thought of that, but I do now! I have seen at certain amusement parks they have the old saloon type photos, and this is very similar to that sepia tone.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We all start somewhere, and it looks like you have already uncovered some great tricks. Please engrave more of your photographs!

2 Likes