The New and Improved Laser Foil Sign - May the Force be With You

I use them, they are reputable.:smile::+1: If they make a mistake, they fix it…

6 Likes

Whoa. Now THAT looks really cool lit and unlit. Nice job!

1 Like

I think I read they’re trying to become competition for Amazon. Can’t do that if your reputation is poor. That being said I’m still totally wary of them, too. :joy:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a concern for long term use. As @Xabbess said, my main concern is the lack of color choice. Here is another option, although the base isn’t the shape you liked. These have all the bells and whistles (except timer). USB or battery, remote, fixed color, dimmer, etc.

I guess I’m hooked, I just ordered 12 of them @ about $11 each. Lots of gifts and maybe a few sales if I can come up with some interesting designs that are not IP protected. :smile:

They are available individually for a slightly higher price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGSJK6F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 Likes

Yeah that’s the pack I bought. They work very well except for the slightly-larger than 1/8" acrylic slots. But oh well.

I don’t have my forge yet, but I have a bunch of led cable and just bought a controller set. I’m going to try and make a base that is smaller than that puck garbage, which is way too tall and doesn’t integrate very well with the amazing designs I’ve seen you all making. If we can get strips to work, lasering a better base will probably be a peice of a cake. And I’d spend an extra few bucks to not be forced into those plastic pucks.

2 Likes

I get them from ebay. They’re usually offered as color changing or single colors. Single colors are offered either as a catch as catch can or a specific color (usually white). Although they come from China, they usually arrive in a week or two - they’re often already onshore (mostly CA).

As @Xabbess said, search for LED menu holder.

2 Likes

Cutting the small strip of self adhesive felt seemed to work for me. I think that this base is the same one at the one I made the Bat-Ian LightBoard for. It wasn’t super snug, but was better than using thicker acrylic and engraving it down or just letting it wobble a bit.

That, I imagine, wouldn’t look unattractive.

I’m not well versed enough in electronics to build my own. But. . . .When I get my order, I may crack one open and see if I can easily transfer the electronics to a custom stacked base enclosure. I’ve seen them where one of the layers is acrylic and glows out at the base, creating a slight halo at the base.

If cut small enough, it is never seen. It just goes on the bottom tab and Automagically disappears into the base.

I’m hoping that I can put the controller in a remote location, similar to the transformer. It’s not all-in-one, but I can usually hide transformers and such behind the table or bookshelf I have the object on. Making my own controller is a bit down the road for sure.

Yeah… That’s on my todo list, as well. I bought a dozen of these things and have only gone through 3 (surprisingly). So I can spare one. I’d like to make a nice wood base maybe. Or, hell, maybe a colored opaque acrylic base to go with the clear acrylic top!

1 Like

Yeah that base I found works real well with 3/16" acrylic as that is what I use when I did a light up card holder/sign this last weekend.

1 Like

Could always try to install a buck converter with USB input to step down the voltage to match the voltage of the LEDs used in the base you selected and in most cases they can be found from china for around a “Buck”.

1 Like

My wife loves Quantum Leap and I was planning on making a sign like this with the title of the show. Love the mash up!!

2 Likes

in re batteries; while of course it depends on the kind of batteries you use (e.g. AA vs watch cells), they tend to last a while in stands like this because the LEDs really do not use very much power at all.

and of course if you get a stand that uses AAs, you can grab a set of the amazon basics rechargeables, which are cheap and work great!

4 Likes

Love that show! :smile:

1 Like

The would be an improvement for my Millenium Falcon LED Sign :thinking:

2 Likes

Wow! Never even heard of foil for the laser, I guess I had better check out YouTube! Thanks for sharing

2 Likes