I said I’d try another Acrylic sign with Laser Foil. The original was OK, but had some issues. The new one is the Rebel shield with the seal of the Jedi at the bottom. Here’s a link to my original foil try if you haven’t seen it already.
This wouldn’t rate an A+ from the teacher, but I think I’ve earned a Most Improved star for application of the Laser Foil. Here it are the components in the bed of the Glowforge.
It’s tough to see in the photo, but there are a few ripples in the foil (this is still a huge improvement over the last one - its HUGE). I guess that I was still a little impatient when placing and squeegeeing the wetting solution out. For this one I removed the mask from the Proofgrade Acrylic and replaced it with the foil. To help avoid bubbles, I used a wetting solution - I used a vinyl application fluid called Rapitac that is used for vinyl decals. I understand that this homemade brew also works:
For 1 quart -
4 drops dishsoap (less is better than more)
1/2 cup isopropal alcohol
3 1/2 cups water
Spray it on liberally and place the adhesive material, then squeegee out the liquid starting at the middle. You can find lots of tutorials on You Tube.
Here is the unlit sign:
Here’s a few shots of it lit up with a cheap color changing LED base.
I like how the foil adds daytime interest to the fixture without hindering the glow when lit. I’ll still do them without the Laser Foil, but this is another option.