The Openator - for the strength challenged

Once upon a time I got into a discussion about lack of quality of my photos. To cut a long story short, this wasn’t due to effort on my part, but more on my mobility issues. Next thing I know, I have a tool designed just for me, that enables me to open the front door of my Glowforge! It is great to feel enabled even if you use it rarely. I love this forum…

@evansd2 just gave permission for me to post the design in the hopes to help others in a similar position as me. :heart_eyes:

IMG_2711

svg and zip:
openator
openator.pdf (7.2 KB)

Upon his recommendation I used 1/8" baltic birch. I added some washi tape in case of splinters. First, I held them together with 2 hands and pulled the middle of the front. No go. Then I held one in each hand and pulled at either edge - YES! I also made sure I had a more solid stance and bingo.

We hope this can be of use to someone!

27 Likes

I applaud this helpful community, and I selfishly want you to be able to use your Glowforge with minimal fatigue because your shares are amazing.

5 Likes

Quick assembly note: they are designed to go together. That is, if you want two of them you have to print this design twice and glue them together. The joints are designed to overlap at different points on the openator, and therefore are far stronger together. One openator is 2 layers of ply thick.

8 Likes

Thanks for the title edit @eflyguy! Self correct is a thing…

3 Likes

Thanks @dklgood! Having a Glowforge sure helps me continue to be creative and share in so many ways.

3 Likes

I was just typing a private note to let you know… I figured it was an auto-correct…

2 Likes

No prob - I appreciate the quick catch!

That is awesome! I love that we can design things that make life easier!

4 Likes

What a cool collaboration! Kudos to you and @evansd2.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this file and story.

3 Likes

Well, shoot, and I had just called @evansd2 a curmudgeon. I guess there’s still hope for him after all. :wink: <3

7 Likes

Nope. Don’t hold out hope, grumble grumble

5 Likes

You look particularly grumbly in dark mode. Maybe even ominous…

4 Likes

Black’s been my color ever since my parents were killed in that dark alley and I found that weird cave under my manor…

11 Likes

Does it have a good spot for ventilation? How’s the wifi?

3 Likes

What a great idea!!! @evansd2 it is very kind of you to work through to create this extremely helpful device!

2 Likes

It was very thoughtful indeed. We went through a couple of versions and he had other ideas as well. :grinning: