The Planter - Update

Greetings -

Now that the snow is here to stay, until May… Thought I’d do a little project to add some desert warmth to the abode.

I used one 6’ (1/2" thick) cedar fence board and about a foot of quarter round. Engrave the front, build a box, glue it and pin nail it. Here we go…

For the engraving I set the material thickness to 1/2" and used the ‘Thick Draftboard, on Draft Graphic. The engraving was quite deep, so I could have backed off the power a bunch, but it is nicely recessed as the cedar surface is pretty soft. The board is 21" long (longest I could get out of the 6’ and keep the box 4.5" deep. (21" x 3) + (2 x 4.5) = 72". I love the Maths. :slight_smile:

I did cut the height down a little, 5.25" was too high for my shelf, but 4" seemed about right. Since I had two cedar boards, I made two boxes. The second one is 3.5" high. It’ works too, on just the tiny 4oz. plants from HD or Lowes. Bling!

And a little extra glue to seal the edges. Drilled some little holes in it to, but mainly just for air. Going with felt, rock, felt, growing medium. So we’ll see. They’ll probably out grow it before I have to worry about the thing rotting out.

Get the stuff together.

Get to it…

And call it done!

Adjust to extra UV for winter, and this totally meets my expectation.

Thanks for checking it out.
HL

26 Likes

Nice boxes, but is there some significance to the intentional typo?

Hey man, It’s Dyn-o-mite!

yelling-excited

I love the Maths.

English, not so much… :laughing:

10 Likes

:laughing: thats great!

4 Likes

This looks great. I’ve been wanting to make a dynomite box as well for the back of my ebike lol. I thought it would look cooler than a normal box.

6 Likes

That turned out really nice!

1 Like

Thanks! And I fixed it for the final version - :wink:

HL

14 Likes

This is fabulous! Love the barbed wire addition!

2 Likes

Love your final version, it took it up a notch!

thats perfect barbed wire. where did you get the file?

1 Like

Greetings -

Thought I’d update this one since I was working on it again. And sorry, I don’t remember where I got the barbwire graphic. I think it was just a straight piece and I ‘photoshopped’ into the proportional rectangle I needed.

So earlier in the winter I picked up for cheap some succulents from HD that were on the back of a shelf in their dark and chilly greenhouse. They were pretty sad looking, but I put them on some mild light for a few months and most of them came back. Here’s the survivors -

So with summer in full swing, time to make a couple more planter boxes and transplant.

I forgot to mention in the original post, and just remembered making more of them - The cedar fence boards are just a smidge too thick to put on the crumb tray if the board overlaps the sides. The little fan duct on the back of the laser head can run into it just enough to push the board forward. That’s why the design on some of the boxes runs off the top of the board. Oh well, still going to use them, the plants won’t care. :slight_smile: The nicely centered one I took out the crumb tray and placed the board on a book to the right height.

The short box in front are cuttings that, once separated from the massively root bound clusters, ended up not having much root left. I put them in water for a few days before placing, really just nesting, on the dirt. So we’ll see if they make it. But all those in the two large boxes look great.

Once these are established, probably early winter (in a couple months, sigh) I’ll likely give them away or sell on CL. The original guys from November are doing well, despite getting blasted with super cold air in the winter on occasion, being in my arctic entry. And my frequent watering oversights. :wink:

But if you’re going to be a plant around here, you gotta be tough. :slight_smile: Oh and I had made little firecracker name tags to try and remember what variety they are. Doesn’t help much, but looks cute.

HL

5 Likes

I do like the plant markers! Thanks for the great write-up (as you always do!).

1 Like

Looks amazing! If only I could make something to prevent me killing my plants though… Living things and me aren’t a good combo. :cactus: :laughing:

2 Likes

Greetings -

If only I could make something to prevent me killing my plants though…

I have a solution. I give you Emily, The Coaster.

I have these pots I’ll probably never use, but they are nice to look at. I’ve been tempted to get a plant for one, and have tried once or twice, but it’s a commitment. And an empty pot on a shelf just looks weird.

So, I’m going a different route. This should be quick and easy. Just some nice leftover wood, a little felt and some glue. Let’s do it.

I want this to be nice enough to have out in the open and set something on, like a nice candle I won’t burn mabey. So I’m going simple, and round. Measure the top of the pots and go with one bigger and one the same diameter, to try two different things. No need to overthink it.

I prefer spray glue for felt. But these are only going to sit on top of a pot and not get any action . So I’ll just do a glue stick and see how it holds up.

That looks pretty good. Nice and simple.

Let’s see how they look.

Pretty nice. I like the smaller one that is the same size as the top of the pot. The larger one I thought would make more room to place stuff on it, but it doesn’t look as good. I like them both enough to call it a win though!

Hope this gives you some ideas Emily. :wink:

HL

7 Likes

This is amazing! My future plants thank you from the bottom of their green hearts for keeping them alive and not making them another victim of my black thumb.

6 Likes

I like the smaller one too. And you could always use them to put your keys or change in. Change? Does anyone use cash anymore? :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

@High_Latitude I might just imitate you.

@emilyhuh I had heard of green thumb, but never of black thumb. That describes me.
I purchase mostly chile pepper plants, lovingly care for them, talk to them while I water, etc.
They die a horribly slow death.
Then weeds start growing in the pot.
I lovingly care for the weeds, talk to them while I water, etc
Then they also die.
Story of my black thumb life. :frowning_face:

8 Likes

One of my plants now is growing mold all over it and not sure how to fix it. So sad.

2 Likes

Typically cut it back to only the parts without mold and cross your fingers. Might depend on the plant though!

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip, but unfortunately, that plant in my open air planter died already. :sob: There is still one plant left alive though!

2 Likes