The power of 3D design software

It looks like you are well on your way of repairing all of the broken or lost part for your really cool toys and household appliances.

I’m really amazed at how far you’ve come with using 3D design software and your new 3D printer.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’ll watch that. Nothing came up in my searches regarding Krup slicers and dangerous blades coming off. The direction of the screw makes it such that the blade goes in the same direction and would tend to tighten it. I’ll to a test run and let it go for a while under load to see if it loosens at all. Doesn’t really seem to be loose and so far it has stayed tight.

1 Like

Mine wasn’t a Krups - but it still made a believer out of me. Just do use caution… 3D plastics - particularly PLA, can degrade and crack over time, or melt and soften in the heat of friction. PETG tends to separate along layer lines…it would be chancy.

Can’t have our Inkscape guru gettin’ hurt! :wink:

2 Likes

It is interesting to begin to learn about strength in a 3D printed part. Now that I am comfortable enough in design, I have a base to start exploring this aspect. I’ll keep an eye on this part and see if it begins to show signs of cracks and weakening. I finally got some PETG and am curious as to how that works with strength. I haven’t tried ABS yet, but wouldn’t want to use this in food prep. I’m working on an enclosure for the whole thing to try the ABS. The whole things is rather fun.

2 Likes

Why not? Its toxicity is when burning or melting. Once extruded its pretty benign.

Not having done testing on my own, it seems that every discussion about this issue is that ABS is not considered food safe. I have no understanding of degradation over time, but since this collar of the screw is a wear surface for the blade, I’d refrain from using it. I’m sure that if I had put in something like, “I used ABS since it has better strength than PLA” I would have opened myself up to the safety police on the other side of the spectrum. There are FDA recommendations for PLA and PETG though.

PLA -> Aluminum. For little one off things it is pretty easy and so much fun! I made a tiny coffee can furnace to play with just using parts from a dead BBQ grill I found on the side of the road.

1 Like

Did you do a “lost PLA” method? It’s a spiral dough hook for a vintage commercial mixer and presents quite a casting challenge. I’ve thought that I could get it printed in nylon and then wrap it in carbon fiber and then coat with epoxy. I have someone who does aluminum recycling and has a smelter, so that’s not a big deal. It’s just figuring out how to make the mold. I haven’t investigated too much this next step. First was trying to get the model done.

I’m still thinking about changing the profile to a triangle and do lofts from one profile to the next so that I can make the top part sturdier and the bottom part a bit thinner. That seems to be a common design.

Oh I was just talking about that little screw! Lost PLA is what I did. We were practicing for teaching a glass casting class. I messed around with some stuff printed on a friend’s machine. I think that hook would be possible but the flask would be large and you would need to think hard about the risers and venting. Also expect to melt a bunch more aluminum then you shink you need to account for a big rider to avoid shrinkage. The other thing is managing surface finish, which eventually convinced me to wait for an affordable resin printer. Fun project!

2 Likes

Is a modern dough hook and a custom adapter to fit hook to mixer an option? Hacksaw may be required.

1 Like

Yeah, we had all the same discussions on E-NABLE about ABS vs PLA since most of the prosthetic hands are made for kids. People have difficulty separating the toxicity of a material when it’s burning vs. when it’s temp stable. PLA is not nearly as strong or heat resistant but can be eaten when melted. Not either of our use cases :slight_smile: Ironic that we were discussing toxicity when cooled about a prosthetic to be worn by someone whose hand or fingers were blown off in a war zone. Some things are more critical than others. We’re so far away from things here in the States.

But you’re probably right about the ABS police :smile:

If not ABS I’d make it out of Nylon for wearability.

1 Like

Loving your Prusa also! Think I’ve easily convinced my husband we need one of these. Even if I don’t have time to learn the software … have to have it and give it a whirl! Soon!

May wait for the Glowforge Pro to get under our wings a bit … and we may not. Might be nice to have something to play with.

Thank you for all the excitement you generate on the forum!

2 Likes