The "Tested" review - tea candle holder

Been meaning to ask this for a bit now, but keep forgetting, so here goes. . .

When they are setting up for the cut during the “Tested” interview, Dan talks about using 2 different materials at the same time. Is this running a different speed/power level setting for each material, or is this a situation where the same speed/power setting can be used for both the acrylic and wood materials/thicknesses shown in the video (kinda the “functionality” scenario vs the “flute” scenario)?

Apologizes if this has been asked already, but I didn’t see it.

Try this thread to get an idea of how colors will map to settings. I imagine it will be like this so you map settings/colors/materials. But waiting to try out the interface is going to be tough.

When I reviewed that thread you linked, I was kinda left with the opposite impression when Dan replied “the software can’t control the laser output power, just on/off”, which would lead me to believe the wood and acrylic cuts at the same time was a flute as the power/speed setting must have been the same.

Read Dan’s full comment, it’s clear that limitation is temporary:

thanks for the invitation to figure out how to refer to a quote in another post and earn a badge but still not doing it right.

`@ihermit2: Yup, easy to do. I believe the software does it but the hardware support is missing - our own power supplies aren’t cleared for use outside the lab yet. (With the 3rd party power supplies we have to use, the software can’t control the laser output power, just on/off).

The “yet” of the power supply lead me to believe that although software is ready, they are still sorting out hardware for full capacity.

Guess I type too slow: “The reason it was on/off was because for that demonstration (and all demonstrations I believe) they did not have their production power supplies. The ones they were using could not vary power. The production supplies will have the variable capability. At least that is what I gathered from prior videos.”

We have a host of machines that we use for various things ranging from half-built frankenstein constructions that we run in the lab with the doors closed to demo machines that we truck around the country. As you’d imagine, the demo units are the most reliable and predictable, but also the oldest, lowest performing, and have the fewest features.

Our current demo units let us vary speed but not power I don’t recall if the speed settings were different for those two materials, but even the oldest demo builds of the software can handle two speeds in a single pass.

3 Likes

Thanks all. I think my question is answered. I’m thinking that varying the speed will let me cut parts fron 1/16" forbon and 3/32" forbon on the GF bed at the same time (cut run).

Had to look this up - it’s a new one for me! :slight_smile:

:smile: . . .
Yes, forbon. Used to make the flatwork (top and bottom) of a number of different types pickups for electric guitars. :smile:

Yeah, had to Google that one as well not being a luthier (it is one my todo list) and it makes me wonder if micra could be cut/engraved? I know G10 is out because carbon fiber but micra is a lot like forbon so?

@dan Have you tried micra or is it on the forbidden list?

Afraid I’m unfamiliar with both forbon and micra.

well it would help if I could spell http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-handle-parts/handle-material-hardware/micarta-tm-phenolic.html
I should have just said phenolic. Anyway, nateral material and resin.

@dan

Forbon (aka Vulcanized Fibre, Fishpaper)

Vulcanized Fibre is a hard, durable, chemically pure cellulose product that contains no resin or bonding agents. It offers flexibility, impact resistance, high tear strength and a smooth, abrasion resistant surface. It can be machined, punched, slit, threaded, formed, molded and wound into tubes for literally countless applications. (it is laser cut as well)

Vulcanized Fibre can be used for washers, insulating plates, switch and appliance insulation, electric motor insulation, gaskets, automobile parts, luggage, patterns, and many other applications. Its properties include:

• High Mechanical Strength
  • Excellent Resistance to Heat and Cold, superior to most plastics
  • Light Weight, Half the weight of Aluminum
  • Excellent Electrical Properties
  • Good Arc Resistance
  • Excellent Tear Resistance Can be Machined with Standard Tools

Per Wikipedia and my personal use of the stuff. . .

Forbon is a vulcanized fiber that was created in the early 1900s by the NVF company. It was used on the original pickups that Leo Fender (founder of Fender Guitars) created for the Stratocaster, Telecaster, and the Precision Bass. It is still used on reissue guitar and bass models from that era. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Neat! Will have to investigate.

I ran across this page showing the results of testing CO2 lasers on all kinds of crazy materials, mostly used in the electronics industry. They talk about cutting circuit boards which are often made out of glass fiber filled phenolic. http://www.synrad.com/search_apps/materials/composites.htm