There's a bit of room left for the GlowForge

We’ve just moved to a new workshop, and I setup my older, “small” laser last night. There’s space right in the middle for a table and the GlowForge! I’ll have to get creative to tap the GF’s exhaust into the 8" ducting the other machines are using.

For those wondering: Left is FSL 80W 900mm x 600mm machine, right is LightObject 100W 1400mm x 2500mm machine (soon to be 130W).

40 Likes

LOVE the sign! Congrats on the moving into a new workshop.

3 Likes

Nice workshop. Love the logo.

2 Likes

Great space - I really admire your work. Were you featured somewhere fairly recently? I could swear I read about your shop or came across it in some other context. In fact I was trying to search for it the other day - but I mistakenly thought you were in Oakland, around Jack London or there-abouts.

In any event, you’ve got an awesome thing going! I even came across a sign on your site for a company here in Chico that I love - Wild Ink Press.

I hope you post a lot of work from your GlowForge!

2 Likes

Not too sure about being featured, but we were in Oakland until recently. We’ve moved North a bit to Berkeley a couple weeks ago, and the workshop went from 480sq ft to ~3000 sq ft.

Wild Ink Press is awesome - we’ve done two or three signs for them.

3 Likes

Very nice, but you should upgrade your hand saw…
(Neat antique!) :sunglasses:

1 Like

Big fan of your work. Been following it from your very early days. I still send referrals to your site because you just keep getting better. I’d love to see what you do with the GlowForge when you get it!

2 Likes

Nice!

If you don’t mind me asking. How much did those machines cost?

The FSL: $9k with shipping about 6 years ago, LightObject: $19k with delivery, setup, training & 3 more site visits over the next two years. The big one included a water chiller as well. I’ll be using up one of those site visits to upgrade the tube to 130W. I did have to hire a forklift to unload the thing.

Our FSL is one of the first of that size they started selling. The new body has a pass-through trap door now, along with a larger tube hatch on the back. If you’re thinking of getting a larger machine, definitely get one with pass-through capabilities…you’ll hit your limit soon enough without it. I used to get around it by swapping in a super short focal length lens, so the head can clear the material resting across the threshold.

2 Likes