Thermoformer / vacuum former / patternmaker

Really cool laser project from Instructables:

41 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a few versions of this, but never with the heating element built in. Awesome find!

6 Likes

Thanks for this! I bet Iā€™ll find some uses!

Also,

Suck it and see!

is hilarious.

10 Likes

Yet another thing to add to my ā€œProjectsā€ notebook in Evernote!

4 Likes

Tools for make another tools, cool!

5 Likes

That is rad!!

3 Likes

O that is good. Now i just need my 3d printer to get here!

but seriously, thats a cool merger of tech.

3 Likes

A quick note on making theseā€¦ it helps get a better seal if you use a box that is raised up a little, so that when you pull down the plastic from above, the chassis that holds the plastic is below the box with the holes in the top. This makes the plastic wrap over the edge a bit to prevent air leakage, and gives a good hold. Try to use a router or other similar method to round out the edge of the box.

17 Likes

Yeah. I saw that one too. My son has been telling me that I need to get one. So when this Instructables came up, I told my son about it, and he was all in. Too bad we have to wait for the Glowforge.

Soonā€¦very soonā€¦

5 Likes

Awesome project but I got a chuckle out of this step:

ā€œCut aluminum plates to the proper dimensions so that the whole box is layered with aluminum. This ensures reflection of the heat and that the wood catches fireā€

It isnā€™t a hacker project if it doesnā€™t catch fire. :smiley:

11 Likes

It is really cool, and well thought out, but what application does it have? Sorry, Iā€™m trying to be polite, I just donā€™t get itā€™s use. Molds for chocolate maybe?

1 Like

Itā€™s the same type of machine I used to make the visor for my helmet.

Larger bed ones can make storm trooper armor, visors, easy storage solution for tools, container inserts for wooden containers you make, etc etc. lots of cool things you can do with a vacuuformer

6 Likes

Funny, one of my industry magazines just had an article about thermoformed products (digital version of the article here). I read it shortly after seeing the OP and watching the instructable. There are a huge number of things made with thermoforming, a lot of them things that I have seen for a long time and never really thought about the method of fabrication.
Combined with modern flexible UV inks, that are printed flat but still conform to the thermoforming of the substrate without cracking or distorting, all sorts of products can be made. Promotional/advertising items, point-of-sale displays, containers of all sorts, entire consumer products.

signage/letters

Packaging

car-top storage box

Hunting stand

17 Likes

OK, now I need to plan for a new machine after my glowforge, CNC, thickness sander, downdraft table, improved dust collectorā€¦

10 Likes

Evidently all the cool makers have them. They seem to be all over, but donā€™t get the sqeee factor that a 3D printer or laser cutter get. This makes the third time today I got dinged by vacuum forming in three different places on line. Hmmm. Wheels churning.

11 Likes

A lot of the thermoformed products are one-time-use things that are recycled or thrown away. Thatā€™s not particularly glamorous. I think that to make cool stuff you still need some kind of modeling/sculpting/form-building skills, and to make really cool stuff (ie the helmet from @takitus, and other stuff that makes people say ā€˜how did you do that?ā€™) involves using a thermoform alongside other methods and materials.

10 Likes

I saw a project at the MakerFaire on Orlando to build one. I should have been building while waiting for my Glowforge.

5 Likes

So on my list (I never should have gotten rid of the one we had as a kid). Also: one of the crowdfunded projects I backed that never deliveredā€¦

I have to admit I would prefer metal all round, but this is sweet. Also, I keep being reminded of how useful a laser cutter will be when drilling zillions of accurately located holes.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s because the makers make their plugs on lasers and with 3d printers, and then go mass produce them either with silicone moulds or vacuum forms. :slight_smile:

The logic goes: Iā€™m not going to sell 50+hour prints for decent prices, so I better find a way to replicate it cheaply and more effectively. Especially considering Iā€™m on the cheap end at charging $0.25/minute + $0.25/gram of plastic for just the printing.

10 Likes

I have a decent one at work, love it! canā€™t wait to make this one at home!
thanks for sharing, bookmarked!

3 Likes