Thick acrylic coasters - and many more

When I need to take a break from regular work, I experiment with designs on the laser. Today I made a bunch of coasters including a few with the Titan Alarms logo on them (one of my clients).

My favorite 2 are the thick acrylic and the maple wood engravings.

The acrylic is even cooler in person. The acrylic is the 1/4” thick Proofgrade and it feels so good and substantial. The Tulsa skyline and the background of the Titan logo is transparent and the rest is engraved to give it great contrast - and of course it was on done backwards on the back so the top is beautiful and smooth.

The maple one is cool for different reasons because it has so much contrast and a natural wood feel to it.

The other coaster are a variety of vector patterns I had in my stock images collection.

I so love creating things with this machine! By far the most time is still spent in Photoshop/Illustrator dreaming, creating, correcting, but it’s still a ton of fun.

63 Likes

Those are beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you, @carol!

Really stunning work.

2 Likes

They really are - I can’t decide whether I like the frosted logo or the lace best. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m a huge fan of acrylic and I love the frosted looking one with the skyline. That’s superb!

3 Likes

Nice work. I like the skyline idea.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Can’t wait to get started (of course I have to have :glowforge: Pro first)

2 Likes

That is a nice logo.

2 Likes

Thanks! I designed that as well. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wow! They are all so nice! Love the frosted skyline!

1 Like

Thanks so much! Technically it’s not “frosted” - that’s just what happens when you engrave the acrylic and the skyline is the untouched part.

I have some frosted acrylic, but I haven’t used it yet, so I don’t know how it acts when engraved yet. Have you ever used frosted acrylic? I bought it without knowing anything about it.

1 Like

I’ve also bought some frosted acrylic … I bought mine to use in candle holders … haven’t used yet though.

You can make frosted acrylic (in fact I almost always do - until PG I didn’t know they made it conveniently pre-frosted). There’s a spray you can get to do it. More coats = more opacity. But you want to wait between coats because it goes on wet but dries frosted. (I know it says glass but I think it says in small print it works on plastic - regardless that’s how I use it :slight_smile: )

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-11-oz-Frosted-Glass-Spray-Paint-1903830/100195608?keyword=window+frost+paint

3 Likes

Well, I was a girl scout many, many years ago … so … I have that on the shelf in preparation for “if I should need it” or “want it” for Glowforge projects. I had read that it was good for acrylics … and grabbed it up!

Haven’t used it yet, but, know I’ll need it!

1 Like

Neat iterations! It’s amazing how big a difference choice of material can make.

1 Like