Thin leather uses

There’s a sale on proof grade leather and I want to play around more with leather on the gf. Has anybody made anything with the thin leather? Is it better for inlays? I’m wondering whether it has a tendency to curl over time when used alone for earrings, bookmarks, etc. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never tried the thin leather. I use med. thick folded in half for the earrings I make.

2 Likes

I cut with leather often for my classes and self… the price of this proof grade is silly this is not a bargain. You can go to Tandy or order veg tan from other place and larger mask and cut to size… They loaded a lot of new leather projects in the catalog but here is one that I did.2

6 Likes

FYI, it’s only a couple bucks more not on sale than Tandy’s pre-cut rectangles (you get an extra 4" from Tandy), and this comes masked. It’s a good bargain if you don’t want to deal with a hide and the varied thicknesses that come when you buy an un-trimmed piece. NOW, if you’re wiling to deal with a hide with some 6oz and some 4 oz and some 1oz, Tandy’s shoulders and up are way cheaper :slight_smile:

@almurr11
The thin leather is about 1.5oz, it will curl if it’s not glued or stitched down well (as will all leather), but it can absolutely be used for projects on its own, it’s no so thin as to not be strong. I’ve made the tops of shoes with it.

4 Likes

Very nice project! Thanks for the info

1 Like

Buying at varying thicknesses and adjusting the settings is a good goal for me to work toward after messing with the more expensive (but super beginner-friendly) gf leather. That’s a much better deal in the long run. Thank you!

3 Likes

I will say that if you’re looking for supple leather - buy some milled stuff. The PG is all stiffer - which is great if you want something stiff, but frustrating if you want something soft.

4 Likes

It starts out stiff, but does soften with use. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello I am a Glowforge catalog designer. The thin leather is perfect for my bookmarks. I have 2 different bookmarks in the catalog. Both sets are Free if you have a Premium subscription.

2 Likes

These will be perfect Christmas gifts for my daughter’s high school book club. Thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you the students had fun with it!

Are you using something to soften it again? Or just let it soften on its own?

Just oiling it once you’ve finished doing whatever you’re doing to it does a good job of starting the softening process. I think it would eventually soften on its own, but oiling is good for it anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.