Thin plastic with 3m adhesive?

Since I have discovered the veneers in the :proofgrade:line I have fallen in love with them as they are good for so many things.
Does anyone know of a laserable plastic that is similar? 0.035 in or thinner and has the 3m adhesive pre-installed?
Thanks

You can buy that tape by the roll if you want to take out a second mortgage. :wink:

4 Likes

That is good to know but it would be a third mortgage as I took out the second mortgage to buy the forge. :wink:

8 Likes

Are there good threads on two-sided laserable adhesive? I’ve found little to go on regarding safety of those kinds of things.

Not that I know of - I believe most people who are concerned are checking the MDS for whatever material adhesive they are about to burn. I think most or all of the 3M adhesives are safe, (I’ve been burning them and I don’t seem to have gotten any crazier than I was before I started), white glue and wood glue…that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Not super cheap, but here is a source for adhesive sheets. They look like what is on the veneer. I’ve used it and it sticks very well. Hasn’t killed me or my dogs either.

5 Likes

Thanks, if there is no final product I may well try to roll my own.

1 Like

This also gives you lots of options. You aren’t limited to colors or thicknesses that you can find with it pre installed. I’ve used it on multiple colors of engravable plastic as well as wood, including medium proofgrade. Sticks like crazy.

2 Likes

JohnsonPlastics has an assortment of laserable thin plastic with adhesive.

4 Likes

I have a love / hate relationship with Johnson Plastic. They have nearly everything but because of that it is nearly impossible to to surreptitiously find cool things there.

3 Likes

Hi Jules! Which model of 3M tape do you use? I’ve been looking at 3M 467MP Adhesive Transfer Tape. What model is on the PG veneer? I moved to Florida and my PG supplies are in storage up north. Anyone know of the best source? Thanks!

this is what i’ve been using (courtesy of @cmadock). also 3m 467. it’s worked great for me.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801146396050.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.0.0.3e97f19cEYOPj4&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

takes a little longer to get here, but it’s $50 cheaper than the roll you linked.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m hesitant to buy from China and then put it in my GF. :wink: I saw this roll for $33, also from China. Is 3M 467MP the verified GF PG model adhesive?

i can’t verify exactly which adhesive GF is using, only that the 467 is working for me.

fyi, if you look at that etsy page, $33 is a few sheets, the whole roll is $211. if that person can really sell the roll for $211, i’m tempted to buy 4-5 rolls from aliexpress and resell them for $70 profit (before fees) each.

i’m fairly sure all 3M tape is coming from china, no matter who’s selling it, and that’s just where it’s manufactured.

@cmadock has bought several rolls from the link i’ve posted. i’ve bought one.

4 Likes

VHB used to be produced in CT and MA, but there are dozens of different types and perhaps it’s all been moved overseas now.

I’ve never bought large sheets, only small rolls for automotive use.

2 Likes

The most recent roll I bought has english, french and spanish on the back and says manufactured in the USA using globally sourced materials.

2 Likes

:joy::rofl:

Great point. What a stand up seller! Show a roll, but selling sheets.

1 Like

We’ll, they do sell the roll. But they show the roll and the sheet price.

1 Like

Sorry, just noticed that @shop was trying to tag me. I’ve bought the 3m tape roll specifically from the aliexpress seller that he linked. I highly recommend them. During covid, but before russia, the rolls were taking less than 2 weeks (like 1-1.5weeks) to get to me (though i am on the west coast).

The product is great and the most affordable. You could buy here in the US, but it’s the same product and much cheaper buying from the linked seller (and probably coming from the exact same factory).

When buying from aliexpress, always make sure your seller’s store is at least 2 years old and has mostly good ratings. I already checked out the shop and purchased from them before sharing here on the forum.

4 Likes