Thinking about shipping your Glowforge to the US, then re-shipping overseas?

just come to the detroit maker faire, and swing mine across the border. i’m sure we can make it worth your while (can i bribe you with soap?)

2 Likes

I’m staring to think Bootlegging Glowforges to Canada will be a lucrative business? (Just Kidding)

3 Likes

well i mean, if i can also bribe you with homemade botanicals, baby you’ve got a stew going

You’ll be sorry when the border agent Googles you and comes up with that post :smile:

2 Likes

So much for living in vermont. (My son has a friend whom he can’t visit without a long explanation to the phone company that no, he didn’t go to canada)

1 Like

gotta get in the habit of disabling roaming if you’re gonna be near the borders :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol Counting my lucky stars that Google will just show them a bunch of Starbucks drinks.

2 Likes

Worse things have happened in every single hotel room.

4 Likes

Be warned that shipping to Blaine will cost you more. As Glowforge is based in Seattle, they need to charge WA state sales tax to any address they ship to in WA State. When you cross the border, you will pay your home taxes (PST + GST). This will end up costing more than the Canadian shipping.

There is always a chance that you will be waived through the border, but it’s unlikely (based on the cost of the forge).

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I’m more so doing the shipping to Blaine because I want the machine faster and I like to clear the customs myself. The Canadian taxes isn’t bad, it’s the broker fee that’s crazy. Especially from UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc…

My rough estimate for taxes is $450 and $0 duty Thanks NAFTA

3 Likes

pro tip: less than relevant here, but if an item is sent via ups express, brokerage is free.

1 Like

Interesting! I just looked it up too and it’s tricky since UPS specifically says it’s only certain routine low risk items.

Good to know though! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

hmm what a perfectly unhelpful description they give you. fwiw i’ve never been charged it on express but do i order high-risk items?? :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Mr. Frugal tip: You never have to pay brokerage. It’s a service, but you can do it yourself.

How to avoid brokerage fees

thanks! i’m aware, but it’s a bit more difficult for me for reasons i don’t care to get into.

I have a question, I received my Golden Ticket and provided the drop shipper address in Miami. I live the USVI, the postal service USPS will accept and send us mail, however both UPS and FexEx consider us international. You ship UPS Ground (and that won’t work.)

Its on its way to the drop shipper now. What should I do?

I think you should post this in the Problems and Support section if you want a reply from GF staff. It will open a support ticket.

1 Like

Sent an email to support but will do as you suggest. Thanks!

Sending an email or posting in P&S have the same effect, so don’t do both.

4 Likes