Thinking out of the bottle!

Squeeeeeee! :grinning: I’m gonna share how I shot it then because it might have worked after all.

You know those old cardboard 3D viewer glasses that they used to pass out at movie theaters before the advent of the $100 jobbies? I took one of those and held the blue cellophane side over the lens of the iPhone while I shot the picture. It knocked down the pure white and emphasized the shadows.

Opened those in Photoshop and clicked Image > Adjustments > Gradient Map, and chose the Black to White Gradient.

That was it. (Oh, i did have to remove the visible highlight streak in the syringe, but it’s shiny plastic, not matte.)

I did experiment with shooting the egg without the blue filter as well…didn’t get much of a gradient on it at all, so the blue really helped.

Never would have thought to try that though without the blue liquid discussion above. That was pure genius!

16 Likes

Your gradients are really nice, here’s how they translate into 3D. See how the depth relates to the light/dark areas.

8 Likes

@dan Laser 3D scanners should be able to do it. While most scanner companies are focused on full 3D models, there’s no reason that a company couldnt use a laser measuring system to read accurate point data from just one plane of reference, then write software that translates that 3D point cloud into a depth map. Say if there was a company with a device that had a gantry inside, with a removable tool mounted to such gantry, onto which a laser measuring head could be attached and utilize the X-Y motion of the gantry to scan over a shallow object. Man, if only there were a company with a device like that… :grin:

7 Likes

That’s looking really fine…resolution has improved by leaps and bounds.

2 Likes

Thank you for modeling the results…:grinning:

it’s funny that you can actually pick up the direction the Iight is coming from overhead by the shadows that are cast in the model. Something to keep in mind, so thanks!

:relaxed:

4 Likes

Think that the laser will be ‘looking’ with the same point of view as your camera.
Both one-eyed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wish I had more time to play with this right now because it’s fascinating! Be sure to keep posting your results. :sunglasses:

1 Like

You mean a company that already had a depth-measuring system built in for focusing purposes? (Albeit that would probably be really slow for lots of points)

1 Like

Best idea yet for the removable head.

2 Likes

There already is a depth sensor in the existing head. It’s only a software addition!

1 Like

@caribis2, @mpipes

4 Likes

I received the colourant from Netherlands in today’s post, and have done a few test shots, and will post the latest.
The colourant is insanely strong - Quote 0.01% of the original solution is opaque at a depth of 4" unquote.
I put one drop into 50mls water and tried it out.
Much closer focus, but the image shows tiny bubbles clinging to the surface.
As it’s getting late, I’m posting this anyway, as I think I’m now getting close to a set up that will work.

21 Likes

19 Likes

based on @mpipes 3d mockup, I would agree! Awesome.

3 Likes

To follow up on this thought, the best results would be obtained if the object had an internal light source and glowed, so the light only made one trip trough the water.

That’s obviously not practical for objects we want to scan, so here’s an alternative idea. Paint the object with fluorescent paint and illuminate it with UV light. Water is transparent to UVA light, and when the UV rays strike the painted object, they will cause an emission of visible light that will be dimmed by the dye in proportion to the depth of submersion as they travel to the camera. We need to make sure the dye isn’t fluorescent, though!

4 Likes

That may be the killer, but I like it :smiley:

Right, this definitely my last attempt !
I must get on with the packing.

18 Likes

Nice detail! It’s fascinating to me that the eye has no trouble picking up some of those lighter lines as cut marks, but an algorithm would have a heck of a time.

2 Likes

It’s going to be fascinating to see if the Forge can detail it, too.
Can hardly wait for the delivery email, and to get to try. :smiley:

4 Likes