Thinnest cuts I've achieved yet!

Ok, this is wonderful. I think I saw you are selling the file on a facebook group. Do you mind sharing your settings?

1 Like

Push those limits!!

3 Likes

PG walnut plywood. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I canā€™t here, because I changed the PG defaults, which makes them non-PG, and we can only talk about non-PG settings over in Beyond the Manual. Plus theyā€™re going to vary depending on the machine and material.

The goal is to use the lowest power setting you can while still cutting through. Make a test strip of 0.125" circles, and cut each of them at a different speed. Find the last one where you can still push the scrap piece out without leaving splinters, and thatā€™s your setting.

And yes, I had to push almost every single one of those tiny bits out of that mandala. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes

I canā€™t see where you did this: Have you tried reversing the image and using the back for the thicker part for the front? The kerf is nothing on the top but the bottom is wide enough. I used that to make the nesting circles for doing the ring. Might be too delicate, but it does hold up across a design. You really have to dial in the power and get the width perfect.

1 Like

Love this! So delicate and it reminds me of a Pizzelle cookie.

3 Likes

Did what?

Iā€™m lost.

My brain is shutting down because Iā€™ve caught the Plague from my husbandā€“I might need pictures. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

What does the back of the screen look like? It should be wider at the bottom of the cut than the front. So if you flip the design, you can even go thinner. Itā€™s not negligible, the v shape of the kerf.

The thicker wooden rings were slipped inside each other after flipping one. If you zoom in you can note the thinner kerf at the bottom.

2 Likes

Yes front on things can look impossibly thin but with a quarter inch thick the other way and the top of the triangle cross section it can be pretty strong. It helps also if the blow cannot reach the thinnest bits.

2 Likes

Oh, okay. I actually used the back for the front on this design. With the thin lines, the more detailed areas look darker, and usually I like the shading that gives the piece, but this time I liked the more consistent color of the back of the cut, so I made it the front.

Back of cut:

Front of cut:

16 Likes

Oof, sorry! Itā€™s a nasty cold if itā€™s what ran through our house.

1 Like

So far Iā€™m not nearly as miserable as Jeff, so maybe Iā€™ll get off with a tamer version of it. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

so pretty!

4 Likes

Wowā€¦ Just, wow.

3 Likes

Love it! You are always thinking of cool things. The comment about creating wooden lace is right on target!

2 Likes

So beautiful!

Had saved a pic to try and do something like this but was too complex and thin (+ I need to get rid of the background and right side properly). Will try harder now, thanks to your inspiration!

7 Likes

I wonder if you could use canned air or an air compressor to clear out the small bits?

1 Like

Whoa, yeah, thatā€™s a challenging one. Be sure and post it if you make it happen, itā€™s beautiful!

1 Like

Yeah, I think that would help. I didnā€™t have any on hand. :blush:

1 Like

Love it! And surprised at how sturdy it seems to be from the pic of you holding it sideways by the mandala tip!

1 Like