Thinnest cuts I've achieved yet!

The lines in the mandala are 0.02" (0.5 mm) wide. :slight_smile:

Finished product (business card holder):

87 Likes

So how hard of a sneeze will it take to break that?

15 Likes

Gorgeous, although it wouldn’t survive five minutes here. :smile:

8 Likes

The finger joints were a pretty tight fit, but I managed to assemble it with no casualties. :wink: The tricky part is at the top sides in back – there’s just nothing there you can hammer on, and my trick of using clamps to squeeze things together wouldn’t work because the mandala is too flexible. I just had to position the sides perfectly when I pounded them in from the front. I’ll definitely loosen up the kerf for future cuts!

6 Likes

The HARDEST part is weeding. The paper coming off resembles spider webs, and it’s tough to get it all because it’s so delicate.

6 Likes

Yeah ok but if you try to pick it up by the back when it’s full and put any torque on that mandala, it’s curtains, right? Seems like it’d crack at very little provocation.

2 Likes

I think it will hold. I think I know where some business cards are; I’ll test it and report back. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good god, you’re making wooden lace! Spectacular!

14 Likes

I did this recently with a door matrix I’m making, cuts were about the same thickness and I botched 2 or 3 pieces trying to weed.

WEEDING!!!

6 Likes

Maybe if you glue it to a back it would last longer. Even a cork fabric or cloth back.

3 Likes

43 Likes

you’re craaaazy

11 Likes

We already knew THAT. :wink:

16 Likes

Ever so nice. Wouldn’t want to drop it on a hard floor - but that would be true even if it was made of stone since picking up business cards under the desk is no fun.

3 Likes

Impressive - from the front it gives you the illusion it is paper!

3 Likes

So pretty and delicate looking. Love it! It’s pretty amazing that it has that kind of strength seen from your pictures.

4 Likes

Wow! this give me anxiety just looking at it! That being said, this is stunning, very well done!

3 Likes

Very nice! I recommend giving it a good dose of Danish Oil finish. The oil absorbs into the wood and then polymerizes, which significantly strengthens the wood. I have been using it on my cherry wood cutouts with good results.

12 Likes

That’s it. I need to make one, even if I don’t need any business cards. :slight_smile: [I have business cards, but no need for a way to display them.]

3 Likes

What is the material (I did look, twice)?

2 Likes