Thought I’d share this idea I first made last fall, when the # of threads I use of leather projects was getting harder to keep track of–so instead of lifting each spool to check the label underneath, I made these markers so it’s easy to see them on the shelf, and when I run out, I can take the marker with me to the store, or to the computer to reorder…
And when at my machine, put the markers near the thread stand/machine. The majority of spools are about 5" tall and 1" diameter. The “T” shape helps keep the marker balanced and in position even when I move the spool.
I started creating text for etching the color names, but after 5 decided that was crazy–I have nearly 40 spools of various colors and thread size (e.g. 9 browns), so I just use the scrap edges from adhesive shipping labels to write out the info…
That’s pretty clever. Nice practical project.
Great solution to a problem. Nice practical cut.
Great idea. I like how the middle inserts into the center of the spool.
Thanks–I think I started with my plant marker shape–recetagle w/ the center extension, and then added the outer extensions to keep it centered in the spool. I tried shorter insert (to save material), but then tipping over & even falling out when moving the spool was an issue…
Thanks–every once and a while one works its way into something tangible!
I am going to use mine to make a radius for rounding the corners on my daughter’s refurbished desk. we are going to epoxy the new top.
should look pretty cool when we are done.
You could make these with a slightly squashy “tongue” - like the bed keys that hold material down. Then you’d get a fit that wouldn’t fall out.
Oh, I’ll try that with the next version… (and shorter “tongue” would fit more easily in a pocket, too, for when I go with it to store to look for that color again!).