Thread Spool Markers

Thought I’d share this idea I first made last fall, when the # of threads I use of leather projects was getting harder to keep track of–so instead of lifting each spool to check the label underneath, I made these markers so it’s easy to see them on the shelf, and when I run out, I can take the marker with me to the store, or to the computer to reorder…

And when at my machine, put the markers near the thread stand/machine. The majority of spools are about 5" tall and 1" diameter. The “T” shape helps keep the marker balanced and in position even when I move the spool.

I started creating text for etching the color names, but after 5 decided that was crazy–I have nearly 40 spools of various colors and thread size (e.g. 9 browns), so I just use the scrap edges from adhesive shipping labels to write out the info…

39 Likes

That’s pretty clever. Nice practical project.

3 Likes

Great solution to a problem. Nice practical cut.

3 Likes

Great idea. I like how the middle inserts into the center of the spool.

1 Like

Thanks–I think I started with my plant marker shape–recetagle w/ the center extension, and then added the outer extensions to keep it centered in the spool. I tried shorter insert (to save material), but then tipping over & even falling out when moving the spool was an issue…

3 Likes

that is really clever

1 Like

Thanks–every once and a while one works its way into something tangible! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I am going to use mine to make a radius for rounding the corners on my daughter’s refurbished desk. we are going to epoxy the new top.

should look pretty cool when we are done.

2 Likes

You could make these with a slightly squashy “tongue” - like the bed keys that hold material down. Then you’d get a fit that wouldn’t fall out.

2 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like

Wow ——great idea!!

1 Like

Oh, I’ll try that with the next version… (and shorter “tongue” would fit more easily in a pocket, too, for when I go with it to store to look for that color again!).

1 Like

Brilliant!