Tip: Joining line points in illustrator

this popped up in twitter for me this week. hadn’t seen it before.

16 Likes

Indeed – it’s darn near a necessity! For the keyboard warriors out there, Join is directly accessible once you have selected the objects to be joined:

Mac: ⌘ Cmd + J
Win: Ctrl+ J

You can also Average and Join in a single step:
Mac: ⌘ Cmd +⌥ Opt + ⇧ Shift + J
Win: Ctrl + Alt + Shift + J

13 Likes

If I can shamelessly plug one of my videos (not for everyone – I accept that 40 minutes of slow-talking instruction makes a lot of people want to throw YouTube out the window), I cover this and some other cleanup techniques in https://youtu.be/qsVgZ_2EADQ?t=841

15 Likes

I didn’t know you can average a join. I’ve spent hours zoomed way in trying to join corners. Thanks for this info!

4 Likes

And if you are an Inkscape aficionado, Shift+J will average Join two anchor nodes. You can also select a messy bunch of anchor nodes, such as 5 all right next to each other on a path, use the same keyboard short cut and get one averaged anchor node out of it!

10 Likes

That will be quite useful! Thanks!

6 Likes

You may also enjoy turning on “snap to point” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Haha-I’ve been using that trick for years! The only thing is, you have to make sure you only select the end anchor points. If you happen to have another point very close to the anchor point and you do an area select to grab the anchor points, you’ll get an error message (that one has tripped me up many times).

3 Likes

What!!! This is AWESOME!

2 Likes

The latest version joins multiple whole lines!!!
(Like all the segments you get from a CAD or box maker export)

5 Likes

I use node editing in Inkscape all the time, have always wondered about keyboard shortcuts as they are not on the menu…

3 Likes

Now… can someone show me where the “mind blown” clean-up button is located? I’m in need of it! This is going to be SUCH a time saver. Thank you for posting this!

3 Likes

It depends on what you mean by “clean up” - “Select > Object > Stray Points” and then hitting delete gets rid of orphan anchor points, if you have too many in a path you use simplify, the potential clean ups go on and on.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.