To buy a used Carvewright

The problem you’re likely to face is that few if any modern computers will have support for a PCMCIA memory card, and to the best of my knowledge no one has made a new PCMCIA memory card this century. So while it may work perfectly you may have trouble actually being able to make it work… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The memory card comes with a card reader. That uses a usb connector.

1 Like

My theory there was someone just wanted to use something they were familiar with and/or figured it was good proprietary protection through obscurity.

Since it’s the only thing you need to carry out to the machine you can slip it into a pocket and still know it’s there. Not easily lost.

I guess. It’s not like usb 2 wasn’t already the standard at the time. And I’ve read that the program for the carvewright to do basically anything is contained in said card. I’m only on about 3 hours of research now and maybe 2 days that was 9 years ago so that could be wildly off base.

1 Like

Ha. So much for my opinion. :slight_smile:

But still… it’s old stuff. Not a technology I’d want to depend on. If it’s working now, then there’s no reason not to keep using it. But be prepared to revamp the CarveWright to update it to newer HW to preserve the investment in the machine should the existing outdated HW ultimately fail.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.