To Filter or to not Filter?

In all honesty… you do NOT want to have longer to decide. Your best bet is to decide right now one way or the other, and commit to it.

10 Likes

That was fascinating, thanks!

1 Like

Wow! I could NOT buy the filter, save the cash, and still be just as happy! (Still leaning towards keeping the filter)

1 Like

I ended up canceling the filter part of my order a few weeks ago. We moved since I originally ordered, and my new office has 2 windows that actually open. Theres a not insignificant possibility I’ll move again in a year or so, but I figured I could probably order the filter then if I ever end up really needing one. I’ll mostly be cutting wood and paper, so I’m not terribly concerned about the neighbors. Plus, second story window facing away from the street, so I don’t imagine it will be a huge deal anyway.

I consoled myself by deciding I could have a filter, or $500 of extra supplies. Same thing with not upgrading to pro. I could have the pro… Or more supplies.

Precious, precious supplies.

6 Likes

Ooh, hadn’t thought of that. Being handy one could always build their own filter box using the Glowforge. That I’d thought of but not turning the filter cash back onto supplies…hmmmmm…

1 Like

With the filter, one of the updates said it has an intake on the side (no pics though).

So do you run a 3" hose from the back of the main unit around the corner to the filter intake? So still need 3"+ clearance behind the unit for the hose to run?

Also, the filter will still blow air out the back right? It will just be clean(er) air? Will there be any way to attach a hose to that if we want to vent that outside?

It’s a 4" hose from the main unit.

1 Like

Good question about the venting with the filter. I always assumed that if you have a filter you don’t need to vent. @dan?

The purpose of the filter is to eliminate the need for venting. There have been no statements of which I am aware relating to any possible materials negating that.

1 Like

Dan referenced this way back in the day:

5 Likes

And this for the connection between the GF and filter.

1 Like

Correct.

1 Like

The filter inlet is on the back of the filter directly below the GF outlet. A solid U shaped 4" tube connects them together, so you need space behind the machines for that bend.

2 Likes

I have already vented my Pro, so no longer have any need for the filter. Given that the pre-purchase price is half the current price for the filter, I’m wondering if I should just cancel it, or take advantage of the discount to resell it or even just pass along the discount to help someone else who needs one but can’t afford the full price?