Today's work: box top overlay

My love of thrift shopping + my love of making things = recycled walnut box with maple ply overlay.

Right now it’s unfinished because I’ll need to glue it together. Then I’m going to finish it with tung oil. The box cost me $2. I sanded it all over with my orbital sander. The box itself is too big to fit in the GF even with the tray out. I can’t remove the top because the hinges are set to be hidden and are buried w/in narrow cuts of the body and top.

This is good practice for me–next I’m going to do this to (of course) a couple of drop spindles.

I saw the pattern somewhere and decided to draw it in Illustrator. I only had to draw 8 shapes and the outer scallops, then copy/paste/rotate, joining points as I went along. I also have this as a separate file arranged by color, so I can selectively cut, engrave or score as I wish.

28 Likes

That pattern looked awfully familiar to me…

/uploads/db6859/optimized/3X/5/1/510b949edfe9c42e197d7c47a2e1c2acde285224_2_1332x1000.jpeg

13 Likes

Love it! Its a nice addition to a plain box.

2 Likes

I’m the type of artist who doesn’t come up with original ideas, but you show me something and I can make it.

7 Likes

Oh it wasn’t my original idea either, I forget where I found it.

5 Likes

@evansd2, happy Cake Day!

5 Likes

Wow, that looks great.

3 Likes

Looks awesome :heart:

3 Likes

Nice way to dress it up!

3 Likes