Token trays

My son asked me to make some custom token trays for board games for a friend’s birthday, and I liked the design so much, I decided to expand on it.

These were the end result:

The lids are magnetic; six 1/8" disc magnets on each face are the perfect strength, and they stay closed even when turned upside down and shaken. A light twist of the lid pops them right off. I’m definitely using these magnets in more of my builds.

I made optional (and removable) dividers for the trays. Including the dividers, three trays fit on a single sheet of wood.

The rounded corners are made of four widgets stacked on a central post. Side panels are glued on.

Lid designs are scored for speed. I really like this faux-engrave scoring technique. It’s got a wonderful texture and takes a fraction of the time an engrave would.

I’ve included a few styles in the design bundle on sale in my Etsy shop, but I’m really looking forward to making custom sets for our personal game collection: more resource-themed Cataan trays, trays for Lords of Waterdeep and Gloomhaven, and whatever else cries out for them.

They also make excellent candy trays and gift boxes! I think it’s a win.

47 Likes

I agree! Really nice construction. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Those are nice. I especially like the engraved inserts on each side. That’s a cool feature.

6 Likes

Really clean/professional looking result. Well done.

7 Likes

Looks great! Love the magnetic lids.

9 Likes

I love the look when you remove the lid. The contrast and shape gives so much interest.

9 Likes

So cool that you used scoring to simulate engraving! It does make the images pop. Thanks for the explanation; it makes me so glad that community members share their ‘how to’ with us.

10 Likes

Kind of reminds me of how comic books were drawn except they usually were cross hatched.

5 Likes

Looks great. I’ve been wanting to make some dice holder designs lately too

4 Likes

That’s in the works too! Basically the same design, but with layered compartments.
This was a gift for a frind who likes crows and TTRPGs.

19 Likes

Appealing design and execution, nice!

6 Likes

Nice work and enjoyed your explanation of how you got there!

7 Likes

These look amazing! Great work!

4 Likes

Will you be posting to the catalog?

1 Like

You might be interested in my post from 2017:

6 Likes

Take a look at headliner material, it makes dice boxes feel really finished.

In practice:

5 Likes

Check out his website. The files are for sale.

2 Likes

Good call, thanks!

1 Like

This set is in my Etsy shop, where I’m trying to build up a better selection of files, but I’ve got a few ideas percolating in may head that may go to the catalog later.

4 Likes

Nice! Love the faux engrave. That adds a nice style and contrast. Lots you could do there.

3 Likes