Took a Stab at a Map

I’ve seen a few maps here and there but I’ve intentionally been avoiding them because I wanted to trial and error it. I used Proofgrade Maple Veneer and some Acrylic. Found a great map site ( https://www.davidrumsey.com) and found a region that interested me. Originally was going to do multiple levels of water, but the scale at which I was working did not allow that. I think it turned out pretty good, but the smaller islands were a challenge.

53 Likes

Nicely done!

2 Likes

Well done, maps are on my bucket list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nicely done. Is that last pic backlit?

Previously in Rumsey:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=rumsey

Some other map archives, for the map-inclined:

4 Likes

Oh, wow!

2 Likes

Yes, I put it in my bedroom window to see what it would look like. If I was going to keep it (it’s a gift) I’d definitely put it in my window. :slight_smile:

They’re all beautiful - and I applaud your defeat of the tiny islands - but this shot is just wow. Might be worth building a lightbox for it. If not you should definitely let the recipient know how great it looks backlit!

6 Likes

I’ll definitely let them know, thanks! As for the islands, it was touch and go for a while…

10 Likes

Cool

4 Likes

Very fancy! Great job!

3 Likes

I’ve downloaded a ton of maps, but haven’t worked up the courage to try one yet…Very nicely done!

5 Likes

Scale up as large as you can. :joy:

1 Like

Maps are so nice for decor … this one is exceptional!

2 Likes

Give it a whirl! Especially if you map is not on a coast; the islands were a challenge. I had to scale them up so they wouldn’t burn away during the cut. Worst case you lose some material and learn something valuable in the process!

Did you consider and reject using transfer tape? I was planning to do a 93/4 HP clock that way, with the veneer which is already backed, and if there’s a problem with that approach it’d be good to know in advance! Thanks.

I did not even know such a thing existed! Please (if you remember) tag me with the results if and when you do it.

That is really great! I love maps and have yet to do one. This gives me ideas!

1 Like

how did you keep the islands from getting lost in the tray after they get cut out? Or did you fish them out after?