Tool holder

and less outhouses!

3 Likes

You are right. As my addiction becomes more and more a paying gig I need to optimize what I have but at some point, I need to build the wife her own and reclaim the rest of the one I am working out of.

3 Likes

one word…layers

3 Likes

Ooh, I like that. If it pivoted about 135-150 and you thought carefully about how tools on different layers could avoid interfering with one another, it might be able to make use of otherwise wasted space near the ceiling.

4 Likes

Indeed, some things that have to be at benchtop level but for those that don’t…

I’ve had a similar thought of a tool cabinet that can swing up to the ceiling, then pivot down when you need things. Would need some awfully sturdy hardpoints on the ceiling, but it’s doable.

3 Likes

As long as there are joists to find, it shouldn’t be that much of a problem. (Omit rant about houses with engineered joists you can’t easily attach things to, and other rant about houses where someone thought width could substitute for depth.)

I think in most cases you want to figure out how to preserve orientation as you pivot down or up. Which can be tricky.

1 Like

Made me think of caber tag:

Old series of shorts from Canadian comedy network.

4 Likes

Behold, the parallelogram!

Also, not necessary if your tools are fitted properly.

1 Like

Maybe something along the lines of a drill bit case, but beefed up:

If not, mathais to the rescue:
http://woodgears.ca/tool_holders/toolchest.html

And if that all fails, just do this:

6 Likes

Hmmm… intriguing. Perhaps have it as a framework with the cabinets attached to axles so that they stay oriented the same way to the floor, no matter what angle the frame is at (a bit like ferris wheel cars?) Frame stops to keep them from rocking once lowered… hmm…

//grabs some paper//

4 Likes

That’s more what I was thinking than the drill bit style

2 Likes

Doesn’t work! I have a 10K square foot shop and 3 out buildings totaling about the same, Still need to clear a table for every new project! (unless I just spent a day cleaning, then I spend my time looking for all the tools I put away)

18 Likes

I started “organizing” my garage back when I lived in CA. I bought containers for all of my nails, screws, etc… I still haven’t finished, and I’ve lived in two different houses since then. I recently opened a box and saw the containers… “Oh, yeah! I was supposed to have this all organized!”

12 Likes

Ohh, poor fellow…geez! I wish I had such problems. Go :glowforge: (if I ever make room in my tiny house for one) - Rich

2 Likes

We have a habit of saving every thing in coffee cans, we have dozen if not hundreds, generally a hodgepodge of nuts bolts and screws, My dad says when hes in the “home” he will sort them:joy:

4 Likes

its a problem I enjoy every day:blush:

3 Likes

When I was a kid my dad would give me a quarter for sorting one of his coffee cans full of random hardware. Now some of the sorted coffee cans are mine!

13 Likes

Well clearly the answer is MOAR TABLES!

2 Likes

Now a days, I wish I had the time just to do something as simple as sorting the cans of pieces and parts.

3 Likes