Tool Organizer using foam

Glowforge%20Kaizan%20Foam%20(1)|690x105

This is my first post here, so forgive me if I am doing something wrong. I also don’t have a lot of time at the moment, so I’ll give a summary and then come back later to give more details, as it is clear, details are important here.

I’ve seen plenty of posts about creating tool organizers and I have used plenty of advice from them. More on that later.

In a nutshell, I have been playing all day trying to dial in the right settings for this foam I am using and I think I finally found them.

In short, for cutting: Speed - 500/Power - 85/3 Passes
For engraving the text, which is Size 16 Sans-Serif I used Speed - 1000/Power - 60/1 Pass/ 125 LPI

Of note here is that I was not trying to cut all the way through. As shown in the photos, this foam is multilayered, which allows you to easily cut into it at whatever depth is needed for the tool, then pull up the layers. That too took many rounds of playing with and of course will vary depending on how deep you want to go.

For most of my tools, I’ve traced the tools and cut them by hand because my pieces of foam won’t fit in the GF anyway. But for my sockets (I have many) that simply was not going to be a good option.

Ok, I’ve got to run now. I’ll post more photos of my sample cuts when I have a little more time. I’m pretty exciting to have finally figured this out.

Cheers!

30 Likes

Welcome to posting! Like it when you create something unique and useful! :+1::grinning:

3 Likes

Love me some kizan foam. Thanx for the settings, I’ve been hacking it out with a hobby knife and really need to start doing it nice like this!

2 Likes

Cutting by hand is the way to go for big stuff

13 Likes

Welcome! nice organization - nice tools too! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Really nice post … I’m sure many will make use of your settings. Love everything which helps organization.

1 Like

Welcome to the group.

Too bad you can’t just get the laser to follow the white line. Would save you some Xacto-ing.

@nickd: Thanks for the Kaizan settings. I have a bunch in the shop waiting to be put to good use.