Tools, supplies to accompany the Glowforge

But - you get to configure and populate it to your whim! So much fuel for imagination!

BTW, the skill of him indoors is quite impressive. The magnitude of that project he did for you reflects true love… And some credit is due you too - it wouldn’t have happened otherwise!

3 Likes

Aww stop it. You’re making me blush.

2 Likes

this thread seems like it could be a wealth of sources to be added to that one post that is a library of links.

Wish I still had my radial arm saw. Rip, crosscut, plane, route and edge mold. Very versatile tool for wood.
Unfortunately I have no room left for a tool of that magnitude.

5 Likes

A friend of mine had no use for a radial arm saw that was taking up room (and gather dust) in his garage. I said that I would take it. Turned out to be an AMF 1959 vintage saw. I cleaned it up, oiled it and bought a Forrester II, 9" blade for it, and it is the most accurate, cleanest cutting, useful tool I have. - Rich

5 Likes

Frank Howarth agrees.

1 Like

I just pulled the trigger on a Shaper Origin.

I think it’ll complement the 'forge nicely and help me to overcome some of the pesky dimensional limitations inherent in building with a laser.

10 Likes

I’m not sure how it will work out, but I plan to pick up a flush-cut saw. I want to try cutting oversized fingers on box joints and cutting off the charred ends with the saw after assembly. A small trim router would probably work better, but that will have to wait for when I’m not working out of our apartment.

1 Like

I love them for 90 degree cuts. But for ripping that’s another story. Used to have one on a job site and we were ripping some stock. It turned into a missile! No one got hurt and we laugh about it now but it could have gone horribly wrong.

6 Likes

Seriously! I turned a 1x2 into toothpicks when the saw launched it across the room into a concrete wall. The velocity thoroughly impressed me! A valuable lesson. You and I were both lucky!
I learned to limit the depth and make several slow passes without loading the motor. Let the tool do the work.
With a carbide blade you can even cut aluminum removing no more than 1/8" in a pass.

6 Likes

Flush-cut saws are sweet. Especially the really bendy ones.

2 Likes

I was looking at this one.

5 Likes

Yep. I still remember my sense of wonder the first time I used it. Just make sure you have the right side up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another item you need for your Glowforge, if you ordered the Pro, is a pair of CO2 laser safe glasses (10600 mm). I ordered [these](Laser Safety Eyewear - Co2/Excimer Filter In Black Plastic Fit-Over Frame Style. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HJMS4A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_wNshybMWYENMH).
And a warning sign to go with it (I’ll make my own).

4 Likes

Yep, those look pretty good. Be sure to get a picture of yourself wearing those to share with the rest of us nerds. :nerd: - Rich

3 Likes

Just an FYI - Amazon started their countdown to Black Friday deals and I noticed they mentioned some Dremel sets up to 25% off. If you don’t have a Dremel, you may want to check it out !

5 Likes

I got so 'deer in the headlights" over @printolaser workbench I almost forgot what I was going to say!

Lots of good stuff here but for almost all hobby’s a Dremel should be your first power tool. If I found myself wiped clean, it would be the first thing I’d replace.

5 Likes

Proxxon and Foredom grinders are nice steps up from Dremel tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-38481-Professional-Rotary-Tool/dp/B001FWXEO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478367064&sr=8-1&keywords=proxxon

https://www.amazon.com/Foredom-K-2272-motor-General-Applications/dp/B000R8DMN2/ref=sxts_k2p_hero2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2668834182&pf_rd_r=075SQBSW08MEEA3A3CH7&pd_rd_wg=ZnylE&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=fzqJN&pf_rd_i=foredom&pd_rd_r=ZCE4SPVQJVCFGTKHQPW0&ie=UTF8&qid=1478367113&sr=2

4 Likes

These are both very nice but one big advantage to a real Dremel is that if you need a set of brushes or a collet the home improvement store has it and is just up the road.

4 Likes

Just worked it out. It looks like the place I always imagined sonic screwdrivers were made (think it’s the Foredom stuff that triggered it). :relaxed:

3 Likes