Top 11 ways to kill time until delivery

Ok, so I’m sure everyone with a password to this site is anticipating the delivery of their super machine. I’m not patient for this sort of stuff. I can’t remember feeling this level of excitement. Well, not since childhood christmas or adolescent ‘night moves’. Since santa died years ago, along with my sex life, this is all I have to look forward to. I wake up every morning hoping for an email… …but alas, my love goes unrequited. Ok, a bit dramatic, but you get the point.

So, I propose a game. Top 11 ways to kill time until ship.

The rules are simple:
-think of a creative way to kill time and avert thoughts from ‘the day’
-creative, inspiring, ridiculous and downright funny are all encouraged, points for combinations
-not limited to 11 ‘ways’
-there are no points

I’ll start.

1 - guerrilla gardening. ❀

Find a community neglected urban spot that’s lacking in the comfort and beauty departments. Common sufferer’s of this syndrome are usually shellacked in concrete or asphalt. Such locations include, but are not limited to, disused parking lots, roundabout (traffic circles), gravel pits, snow dumps, roadsides or old parks. ✽ ✾ ✿❁ ❋❀✽ ✿❁ ❃ ❋

Find a suitable spot and plant some trees🌴, flowers ❀, hearty herbs,✾ shrubs ❃ and beautiful plants.✽ ✾ ✿❁ ❃ ❋❀✽ ✾ ✿❁ ❃ ❋❀ Go nuts with it. Make it gorgeous! ✽ ✾ ✿❁ ❃ ❋❀

✿ Actually, now that I think of it. It’s not recommended to do this. It’s probably illegal. ✿

Shucks, I’m already out of ideas. Back to waiting. :frowning:

6 Likes

2- design things to cut as soon as your GF arrives.

We know enough about the GF to have a bunch of designs and materials ready when it arrives. Sketchup or Fusion 360 will do great renderings of your finished product.

4 Likes

3 - Stalk Dan, follow him from home > work. Rig elevator to “break down” over lunch hour. Mine Dan’s office for insider info. Spend remaining days even more impatient.

Oh wait - is this the to-do list or the just-did-it list?

8 Likes

Ok, cause thats not creepy…lol

3 Likes

No. Creepy would have been if I’d posted the first part of that message LAST Monday. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m lucky…I have my two lasers to keep me busy…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But yeah, I agree…start working on some designs.
Start pricing out materials, see if you have any local shops with scrap bins…There is an acrylics shop where I can go through their scraps and extras from special orders at a discount…Everytime I go, I get lots of extras as I build upon that relationship…or it could be that, since I homeschool, I bring my charming smart witted son with me whom the owner adores…lol

2 Likes

I think we’re swearing off elevators for a while

9 Likes

Practicing my banjo, and wondering why all my mountain friends keep calling me Ned Beatty.

And wait, Santa’s dead?!

6 Likes

Build new desk for the Office/Workshop where the GlowForge will go.
Plan a GlowForge Unboxing/Toast Making party! :grin:

Santa’s not dead. I just got some gifts from him a few months back. :gift::christmas_tree:

4 Likes

11: Troll the Laser Facebook group with posts about how much better than any other laser the Glowforge will be.
10: Watch the dumpsters and skips for cardboard so closely that the local homeless are left even more homeless.
9: DDoS Tested because Norm was not 110% positive about the Glowforge in the podcast.
8: Carry a piece of bare copper wire, a needle nose pliers, a propane torch and a box-cutter around to test all the plastic you come across for laserability.
7: Buy mini IR safe googles for the cat, because, we know he’ll start coming for laser fun when he hears the blowers sound "it’s laser time!"
6. Get an XCarve, Chinese laser off Ebay, a Silhouette Cameo or Cricut, or a Makerbot because you just got to start making!
5. Start a GoFundMe project to help @rpegg pay for all the banjo strings he’s going to wear out.
4. Move to Seattle, because that’s where all the magic is.
3. Start a new topic on the forum about the top 11 ways to kill time until delivery.
2. Quit your job because once the Glowforge comes, you will be an independent maker.

1. Make a baby, because the nine months will be perfect from the pre-order to delivery!
16 Likes

I am using this time to finish my build on a smaller machine (purposed built to handle T5 Aluminum) Then use that to upgrade my existing CNC to lead screws.

2 Likes

My new number one way to fill the time is trying to think of how your sex life and santa both died at the same time…

Like @smcgathyfay, I am fortunate enough to have a laser on hand already, so I spend the time toying with that. Right now I am collaborating with my wife to make a sweet wedding present, and teaching myself some techniques I haven’t heard of before, but I am sure once I share them I will be pointed to resources which make my level of amateur apparent.

6 Likes

I really want to know what number 8 is all about. What is the theory behind that?

http://community.glowforge.com/t/how-to-determine-if-plastic-x-is-safe-to-use/648?u=joe

1 Like

You can also re-purpose this pass time as a way to figure out if your friends are alien shapeshifters, for reference see “The Thing” (…of course the 80’s version…)

4 Likes

Wait, wrong movie.

Anyway… Someone wise pointed out that the anticipation-of-new-tool creativity is different from having-the-new-tool creativity and the best thing to do now is take bunches and bunches of notes. Once the thing arrives, we’ll shift much more into how to mechanically use it, whereas the current tension is more expansive and unfettered.

This forum and the notes getting passed around are priceless.

I’m one of the lucky ones with a laser I can access, but there are online laser operators who’re happy to flat pack you some cut materials if you find a prep-design you simply cannot wait for? Also you might look around to see if a maker space has popped up near you.

I’m wondering if people want to keep seeing the things we make at the lab? I want to be sharing my blessings, not tormenting the less-blessed.

7 Likes

Heck, yeah!

1 Like

Yes please lol. I hope I can be creative enough for this and my small farm…

My wife is due in August so… close enough

7 Likes

Congratulations!:thumbsup:

2 Likes

Ha ha ha. Ummm? I’d say it was a long story, but it wasn’t.

1 Like