Top 11 ways to kill time until delivery

Build new desk for the Office/Workshop where the GlowForge will go.
Plan a GlowForge Unboxing/Toast Making party! :grin:

Santa’s not dead. I just got some gifts from him a few months back. :gift::christmas_tree:

4 Likes

11: Troll the Laser Facebook group with posts about how much better than any other laser the Glowforge will be.
10: Watch the dumpsters and skips for cardboard so closely that the local homeless are left even more homeless.
9: DDoS Tested because Norm was not 110% positive about the Glowforge in the podcast.
8: Carry a piece of bare copper wire, a needle nose pliers, a propane torch and a box-cutter around to test all the plastic you come across for laserability.
7: Buy mini IR safe googles for the cat, because, we know he’ll start coming for laser fun when he hears the blowers sound "it’s laser time!"
6. Get an XCarve, Chinese laser off Ebay, a Silhouette Cameo or Cricut, or a Makerbot because you just got to start making!
5. Start a GoFundMe project to help @rpegg pay for all the banjo strings he’s going to wear out.
4. Move to Seattle, because that’s where all the magic is.
3. Start a new topic on the forum about the top 11 ways to kill time until delivery.
2. Quit your job because once the Glowforge comes, you will be an independent maker.

1. Make a baby, because the nine months will be perfect from the pre-order to delivery!
16 Likes

I am using this time to finish my build on a smaller machine (purposed built to handle T5 Aluminum) Then use that to upgrade my existing CNC to lead screws.

2 Likes

My new number one way to fill the time is trying to think of how your sex life and santa both died at the same time…

Like @smcgathyfay, I am fortunate enough to have a laser on hand already, so I spend the time toying with that. Right now I am collaborating with my wife to make a sweet wedding present, and teaching myself some techniques I haven’t heard of before, but I am sure once I share them I will be pointed to resources which make my level of amateur apparent.

6 Likes

I really want to know what number 8 is all about. What is the theory behind that?

http://community.glowforge.com/t/how-to-determine-if-plastic-x-is-safe-to-use/648?u=joe

1 Like

You can also re-purpose this pass time as a way to figure out if your friends are alien shapeshifters, for reference see “The Thing” (…of course the 80’s version…)

4 Likes

Wait, wrong movie.

Anyway… Someone wise pointed out that the anticipation-of-new-tool creativity is different from having-the-new-tool creativity and the best thing to do now is take bunches and bunches of notes. Once the thing arrives, we’ll shift much more into how to mechanically use it, whereas the current tension is more expansive and unfettered.

This forum and the notes getting passed around are priceless.

I’m one of the lucky ones with a laser I can access, but there are online laser operators who’re happy to flat pack you some cut materials if you find a prep-design you simply cannot wait for? Also you might look around to see if a maker space has popped up near you.

I’m wondering if people want to keep seeing the things we make at the lab? I want to be sharing my blessings, not tormenting the less-blessed.

7 Likes

Heck, yeah!

1 Like

Yes please lol. I hope I can be creative enough for this and my small farm…

My wife is due in August so… close enough

7 Likes

Congratulations!:thumbsup:

2 Likes

Ha ha ha. Ummm? I’d say it was a long story, but it wasn’t.

1 Like

I’ve been toying with the idea of making a copy of this… …perhaps I should start plotting out my pieces now if I’m ever to turn it in to a reality. Then again, I could be biting off an unchewable sized mouthful.

6 Likes

Oh, go on and chew.

Also please share notes and progress pictures when you can. :smiley:

2 Likes

That would be a demo in a physics class that never expected to have demonstrations (Math Methods). Would be awesome to have one.

2 Likes

Since waiting for a Glowforge, I have become a beekeeper (beek), ukulele player (beginner), and video maker (educational). I just started re-landscaping my garden for bees. Who knows what else I can accomplish by July. I should probably learn Fusion360…

5 Likes

I love bees!
We had a “beek” neighbor who kept some hives on our property. His Dad was too.
That guy was an encyclopedia on bees.
We were talking one day and he brought my attention to a puddle of water with bees gathered around it drinking. He said "see that? That means the hive temperature is above (something like 84 degrees, I don’t remember). At that tèmperature they stop visiting flowers and start carrying water back, where they dribble it down the comb and fan their wings. They can lower the temperature 15 degrees by evaporative cooling."
When it’s cold they shiver and can raise the temp by about the same.

3 Likes
  1. Figure out how to make a sales booth that will dominate all other booths at my local craft show in the fall.
  2. Design objects to be sold at said craft show, all the while trying to come up with That One Thing that you see everyone buying during each show.
  3. Figure out how to buy raw materials in a way that doesn’t break the bank!
  4. Be insanely jealous of people with current access to laser cutters lol
4 Likes

Cool! You just taught me something new I didn’t know about bees! Thank you!

2 Likes

You’re in for a treat.
They are fascinating! The workers only live 5 to 7 weeks, the short end is during the summer when they work themselves to death. look closely at them and you can spot the older ones by the wear on their wingtips - they chip and split and become less and less efficient, until they exhaust themselves trying to fly.

So many of us are afraid of them, but you would be pressed to find a more docile creature.
My neighbor had a large hive in an out building in the wall between studs, with a knot hole on the exterior where they entered. The cloud of traffic in and out was so prolific, it left a ring of beeswax an inch around the hole. He was afraid to go near it. (as I would have been before I understood them)

I walked up to within a foot of the entrance, where they all had to detour around me to get in. He was horrified… but he’s working on it.
It was then that I noticed occasional wasps using the same entrance! The traffic was such that they were all bumping into one another, but there was no conflict between the bees and wasps.
A bee is to love.(I’m still working on wasps…)
Very different looks and life patterns, yet no conflict nesting in the same space.
Made me think "WT# is OUR problem?? WE get excited over skin tone. We are so “intelligent”, but can’t manage to get along?

You have started a journey you and your bees will benefit from.:heart_eyes:

2 Likes