Topographical 3D Engrave

There is a sticker on the back of the machine, above the power cord slot.

2 Likes

also on the return-address sticker on the exterior of the box (although that one could get damaged in transit):

3 Likes

This is so awesome! I’ve been trying to print a grayscale image but can’t get mi GF to upload and recognize the image… what format did you use? Did you rasterize the image before?

Ah, shucks!

I’d need to know more about what’s going on (sorry this came so late) - the file format is just a normal raster, I think I typically use .PNGs and .SVGs exclusively, the former for raster images (engraves). If your files aren’t loading, you might need to use smaller images (smaller file size, that is). The GF gets choked up by large files.

What settings did you use for your engrave? I just did some tests of my home state and got fair results with lots of room for improvement.

Remember, settings aren’t discussed in the “Made on a Glowforge” category as per the forum guidelines. If you add them here, the discussion will need to be moved to the beyond the manual section.

Guidelines can be found here:

https://community.glowforge.com/faq

1 Like

Clarification: Non-standard settings go in Beyond the Manual. It’s fine, for instance, to say which PG engrave option you used on your PG material. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fair point. You’re better at this than I am even when you’re heavily medicated.

2 Likes

I’ve been cutting back, does it show? :wink:

3 Likes

Can I ask where you found your metal stand outs?

I can’t speak for this particular set of standouts [as I’m not the OP], but there are lots of them on amazon.

Lots of previous posts about them, including some that have LEDs in them. The generally accepted name for them is “standoffs”.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=standoffs

2 Likes

One reason I LOVE clicking on Latest at the top - threads I missed.

So I LOVE this idea rather than what I was going to do for Grand Lake here in CO, but cutting out topo and stacking (well, I’ll still do that).

Question is - anyone tried to do this with thicker material? I want to use 3/4 plywood for it to get better relief across the map, just wondering how thick anyone has tried with this.

ryanjpedersen,

Do you by chance have the generate-hypsometric command line you used to generate your map? It would help me out a ton, vs trying a lot of trial and error on the parameters for the command :slight_smile:

No, I don’t, sorry. It was so long ago now, I just did a bunch of trial-and-error myself. I don’t remember a damn thing about this project, it was just a quick one-off for Xmas

1 Like

No worries, you did a great job and prior to snagging a Glowforge, this was the inspirational piece that made me go “Ok, this is really cool…”. Anyways, appreciate the original post and the inspiration, hope things are well sir!

1 Like

Wow, I’m glad! Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

I have used the generate-hypsometric successfully as:

generate-hypsometric ramps=0:white;80:black

1 Like