"Total Power" Comparison - Settings for Depth Engraving Acrylic

This might frighten you a bit but it looks like we shared a brainwave… I was curious if the rotation had anything to do with it as the laser basically burns the same area twice in a row. Below is a photo of the rotated artwork

I dont know if it would be the focus because as it is, the focal point was set for 2X the material thickness. By the time the laser gets to the bottom of the deepest area, it’s way below the focal point. Just for giggles though, I ran another test with an even higher focus and it didnt help the ripples substantially.

Also I wanted to iterate these photos are being taken with a pretty high end 100mm macro lens that resolves detail you simply are not going to see with the naked eye, and amplifies everything else. The tiny ripples at the shallower side arent even visible to the eye and the deepest ripples are barely visible. These are simply nothing to fuss over. The settings are all here now so run your own samples and see for yourself how completely amazing it turns out!

16 Likes

Yeah I don’t see much of a difference in the photos. Thanks for running the test though!
I’d done a defocused vs focused acrylic test a few weeks ago and didn’t notice a difference either. But I know others swear by it. Must depend on the acrylic.

1 Like

Curious how you added text to the photo…? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I used GIMP, an Open Source image/photo editing program.

1 Like

Ok, Thanks.
I thought perhaps there might be another trick. Man, I need to build myself a better computer. Takes a long time for this 10 year old laptop to load heavy programs.

2 Likes

Yes and yes they do. Most people are clueless when it comes to things like this. Honestly.

It used to surprise me but then I really hate the concept of quanta energy and electrons that jump orbits without ever occupying the space in between (I finally just decided to pretend I believed so I could get through EE classes and it does seem to explain what is observably happening). But then people I know seem to fundamentally understand how it’s possible and think I’m one of the slack-jawed one-eyebrow neanderthals. :slight_smile: So now I’m not surprised.

3 Likes

… Mike’s sitting as his computer staring at his fingertips…

Take a look at the second photo of the bubble gum pink sample and compare the ripples with the fingerprints. Fairly close in size, pitch and depth. Now look at your own fingerprints. Wow!

Sorry I’m just geeking out. :smiley:

4 Likes

You have said so much about living amongst muggels here. Your way of coping is the same as mine. Think about something I have a hard time with and then I’m okay with it.
My entire family other than myself can’t rap their head around simple fractions! These are normal people who live and work in the normal world.

1 Like

It’s all fun and games until it becomes your responsibility to “teach” one of the muggles how to get along in the world.

Case in point…my mom, whom I love to death, called me yesterday in a panic because she received a credit card statement from Dillards. We looked at the statement, and I told her that she had purchased something the week before for 34$. She said…“Yes, I bought a really lovely blue blouse on sale. I said " Okay, now you have to pay for it.” She said…“Oh no, I put it on a credit card.”

She has led a seriously sheltered life. (Must be nice.)

10 Likes

Is there a chance she put it on a different credit card, or thought she did? (My aunt had to learn how to write checks when my uncle died, but that was a while back)

No, I asked her which one she used to pay for it. It was her Dillards card.

It’s little things that we take for granted that she’s never been exposed to because Dad took care of that side of things. She has a really tough time with Insurance statements too. After Dad died, she kept receiving the statements from the insurance company telling what they were going to allow or disallow, and I spent hours every week calming her down because their deductible had been met.

We still do that when one comes in, she absolutely doesn’t understand what they are, or that she doesn’t have to pay them.

Surprisingly though - she’s picking up on Stock Market transactions really fast. (That’s money coming in.) grin!

5 Likes

But without it there would be no pewpew lasering. I really think I could spend the rest of my life meditating on this phenomenon and never lose the absolute joy and feeling of celebration that I get when I imagine Einstein thinking about these things and what it set in motion. And I readily admit I still can’t understand even only a little bit of it.

Last night I watched a great documentary on James Clerk Maxwell. He died young. I know that the big maths and physics breakthroughs tend to come from the younger ages of the geniuses, but still, what was left for him to work out if he had had time.

5 Likes

I find particle physics fascinating but sadly to really understand it you need calculus that I never had.

1 Like

I don’t think anybody understands the physical reality of it. QM is just pure mathematics that describes reality without explaining it.

4 Likes

there are lots of excellent free math courses online. if you want to understand the math, you can.

1 Like

I think I peaked at simplifying polynomials many years ago but maybe I can absorb just enough to push my understanding a bit farther.
I’m a big believer in lifetime learning but some things get a bit harder after 50.

4 Likes

honestly were i you i’d take a look at a good pre-calc course online and make sure to pay special attention to limits and limit laws. then onto the derivative…then a lot of calf is employing that sort of understanding.

1 Like

Hehehe, yeah, when exploring the QM world, leave logic at the door.

2 Likes

Not logic, but rather leave macro-sized object intuition at the door. As weird as QM appears to be, it explains all measurable physical behavior of quarks, photons, elementary particles, atoms, molecules, etc. Why QM, with its weirdnesses, is required, and not a different theory that might match our intuition better, has not been explained.

5 Likes

From our friends at SMBC Comics:

11 Likes