Toy Helicopter with moving blades

I had considered trying to do a wind-up car, but maybe a wind-up helicopter would be cool too. I would want to change the gear ratio to make better use of the stored energy…

3 Likes

I like your gears. Very creative . :blush:

2 Likes

That is pretty cool! Great job!
Get to tha choppa!

3 Likes

Neat gears indeed!

2 Likes

Nice! I have wanted to do a windmill. That looks fairly straight forward! Great stuff!

1 Like

Yes, I had considered trying to do a windmill after seeing @designvh619’s design. I thought to myself, “Maybe I could make the turbine spin and turn a shaft, just like a real one?”

(Link to @designvh619’s windmill post: What’s a barn without a silo? )

There is so much creativity on these forums. I get so many new ideas, I really should write them down…

3 Likes

That is absolutely so precious.

2 Likes

If you bookmark the posts you get ideas from, you’ll have a persistent library of ideas waiting…

2 Likes

Yeah, I could bookmark them, but the idea I get from them is not generally exactly the same. So, I might not have the same idea just by looking at it again…

2 Likes

My next machine test is working out also… but it’s anyone’s guess what I might turn this in to…

My original idea was to use a chain drive to move marbles or discs in a new contraption. But, it would probably be pretty big to use a chain this size.

I am happy that the tests are working, but I might need to see if I can reduce to the size. (Even though that would also reduce the strength of it…)

6 Likes

Would make a wicked chain saw for a Halloween costume. Or add ducks for a shooting gallery.

3 Likes

Hello, I downloaded the helicopter file and wanted to give it as a kit to my 13 year old nephew. Are there any assembly instructions I can give him with it?
Thank you.

1 Like

For any of the catalog files - when the file is open click on the three dots menu at the top, assembly instructions should be listed there :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

As @ekla noted, click the three dots. Then select Design Details. Then select instructions.

1 Like

Thank you everyone!

1 Like

Has anyone tried using acrylic for the helicopter?

1 Like

I have not. But I have learned that material width is very important. You want to make sure the material is as close to 1/8" as possible.

Thank you for the quick reply and for you cool design. I’m in need of a gift for my grandson and I’ve left myself no time.

If you don’t mind answering one more question, in general, do you know if gears work as well with acrylic as with wood?

1 Like

Actually, I have found that my gears work even better in acrylic! I have not tried the 90 degree turn with the acrylic gears, but all other gear tests have been better in acrylic.

The press fit connections have been more difficult in acrylic though. I have been using Draftboard for the press-fit pieces. Acrylic is just not as forgiving when compressed.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by press-fit pieces (rank amateur here)? Does that mean the pieces into which you insert other pieces to hold the thing together?

1 Like