Trace calibration is off

When i use the trace tool the cut is always way off. Even if i import a SVG and place it on top of the image the cut is off. What can i do to fix this

According to the Glowforge specs, currently object placement may be up to 1/4” off. It looks like your offset is within that tolerance. To get better placement (I assume you want the cutting line centered on the design), I would recommend the following:

1. Determine your machine’s offset in the center of the bed, right under the camera, using this method: A way to improve object placement
  2. Now that you know how many clicks at your chosen zoom level are needed to get the cutting line exactly where you want it, place the item you want to cut around in the bed right under the camera and go through the autotrace routine to get a cutting line.
  3. Select the cutting line and carefully line it up with the figure you traced. Now apply the correct number of clicks up or down and left or right using the arrow keys on your keyboard. It will look wonky but it will cut in the right place.
  4. Cut!

Thank you

Thanks for the help, @cynd11, that’s right! Most alignment problems come from the material being closer or farther from the camera than expected. When you open your Workspace in the Glowforge app, the camera on the lid of your Glowforge uses a wide angle lens to take a photo of the entire bed. The software then uses the height of the material to correct the image so the image you see matches what’s in the bed. The software is still improving, and you may see an alignment offset of up to 1/4". I apologize for any inconvenience.

We’ve outlined some steps you can take to get the best alignment in our troubleshooter here.

I’m going to close this thread. Should you finish all of the steps in the troubleshooter and find that you have an alignment error of more than 1/4", please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com so we can investigate. Happy printing!